All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to take some college boys fishing this weekend and will probably overnight at Prisoner's (or thereabout). Anyone care to share some ideas where these kids can catch some fish? Bonito would be fun (we'll look for birds), some rock fishing in the "gap", some flatties along the front side, and maybe throw a "hoop" over at night. Anyone ever have any luck hooping from the anchorage area at Prisoner's? This trip is more about kids getting together for some good fun, but a fish or two would be nice. Going Saturday to Sunday (assuming weather looks OK). Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I don't know about you ,but my preference for an anchorage this time of year is on the back side rather than the front. The exception is if there is a south swell running. (With the two storms/depressions off Baja there very well may be a south swell, so I'd check.) But barring that, I think Smugglers (or even up around Willows) is a better location for what you are talking about. The little island there at Willows should be a good bet for hooping.

Bill

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
There isnâ??t going to be any south swell coming in from those two deals down south. I would be more worried about south wind. There is a cut off low roaming around and they are unsure the path. Could rain and then again might not rain. South wind could become a problem so backside will not be the choice. Either would Prisoners for that matter. Keep an eye on it. Should know by Thursday afternoon or Friday am. Forecasters are all over the place right now.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now they are calling for 10 knots or less....but I've been in 30+ knots when 10 knots were forecasted. I will watch the forecasts and try and adjust my plans as needed. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Frank.......we're departing Sat. morning 'cause I need fuel and will head to the back side of Anacapa around to Santa Cruz. Would like to contact you and see what choices you're making for an overnight. Will try and hail you. BTW, your buddy "Lee" sold my old boat and did an excellent job. If you hear anything about the weather, call me on my cell (805) 570-9911

1 - 7 of 7 Posts