Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WACKO POLITICIAN REPORT/ALERT

I just heard that the House of "Representatives" just passed the Defense bill that included a provision to give control of Santa Rosa Island to the Military. If we still want to be able to fish anywhere near that place I think that we had better start writing letters, making phone calls, sending emails IN A BIG WAY, ASAP BEFORE IT PASSES THE SENATE. Otherwise we can kiss SANTA ROSA ISLAND goodbye as well as all the other closures. Since the bill has passed the House (in spite of Rep. Lois Capps' objections, Democrat, Santa Barbara) you had better contact the Senators. For California that would be Boxer and Feinstein.

DO IT NOW OR DON'T WHINE ABOUT IT LATER!

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
RE: SANTA ROSA ISLAND CLOSED!!!!

The House Bill does not give Rosa to the military. It just allows the hunting alreading going on there to continue. It does give some hunting preferences to retired and active-duty military.

Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Well, at this point I would say that we should all be just a little bit skeptical of anything that comes out of DC. They might say it's no big deal and just a little "preferential treatment" then when the big military brass and the Congressmen go on their little boondoggles out there but I doubt that anyone is going to be able to get anywhere near the place. That island was bought with taxpayers money as a national park. First it's just a little "preferential treatment", next thing, "oh we just need to close a few areas (read, Bechers) for security reasons." Next thing you know, kiss it goodbye.

DON'T GIVE AN INCH.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

>The House Bill does not give Rosa to the military

According to this letter, from Lois Capp to Duncan Hunter, it does.
http://www.house.gov/apps/list/press/ca23_capps/pr060501_SantaRosaIsland.html

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

I have been doing some reasearch on this and went straight to the horses mouth...Congressman Hunter. The reality is that the Feds. planned to come in and kill all the non native wildlife on the island such as the deer and elk. Duncan put up a proposal to let them stay and become sport for wounded and disabled soldiers. The proposal has been brought up in committee several times before and died, so it probably will again...whatever. This in no way affects sportfishing access or puts any restrictions on anglers. Bill Poole is also very close to Duncan and I am sure he would give him an ear full if this was the case.

drgary

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Gary,

Don't believe it. If all they wanted to do was continue the hunting concession and give wounded solders a place to R & R they can do that right now. They don't have to take the place over.

I guess you didn't read Capps letter, huh? Seems like since she is the Congressional Representative from the district that the island is in she would know. Hunter isn't even in this area. What business does he have telling us how to run the island.

$30 million of taxpayers money was spent to make it a national park for the PUBLIC to enjoy not for Hunter and his other fat cat buddies and military brass to have their own personal hunting/fishing club. If you think they aren't going to close off the harbors/fishery once they get in there then I've got some WMD in Baghdad I want to sell you. Sheesh, you still trust these guys? What haven't they lied about?

·
Registered
260 Posts

Looks like we might have to go deep covert to our spot from now on eh Mike???

That would add an element of excitement! Used to have to just dodge the elephant seals and ******...now it is heat seeking missiles and stray 30-06 rounds...that would keep the riff raff out, probably not the riff raft...

I know there are some trophy elk out there...I found a 6 point antler on the beach one time...I wonder if those big elk will bite the fresh dead squid!?!?!?!?

Andale

·
Registered
11,115 Posts

We're on the same page with respect to whether or not Hunter's idea is a good one. Clearly, it is not. I think the guy is a complete idiot. The place is a National Park and should be accessible to everyone.

What I'm questioning is your apparent belief that the plan would threaten sport fishing access. As far as I'm aware, it would not. It WOULD restrict access to campers, hikers, etc during hunting season. I am an avid hunter, but I think it's total B.S. to allow hunting in a National Park if doing so causes most of the public to be excluded.

Hunting is currently allowed on the island. It's all private access and is big bucks. Hunter wants to allow that to continue with the additional caveat that the military would also be allowed to hunt there. I'm as pro-military as the next guy, but I draw the line at turning National parks into private military hunting preserves.

And Gary, this is NOT about Hunter's concern over killing non-native wildlife. If that were the issue he would be complaining about killing all the non-native wildlife on Santa Cruz. He has made no-such complaints. This is about Hunter wanting to have access to a really b!tchin piece of land to hunt on. I can relate. I'd like to hunt elk there too. (Actually I prefer real hunts to what goes on at Rosa, but that's another story.) But the point is that just because Hunter wants to have access for he, his buddies, and military brass, doesn't mean he gets that. The friggin place belongs to the American people. It's a National Park. The idea of denying access for five months out of the year so a few big-wigs can hunt elk there seems a bit off the mark.

Bill

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Bill,

I'm not into hunting but I share your concern about the issue. Fact is that if all they wanted was to extend the hunting concession and allow some wounded vets to have some R&R they can do that without any changes to what is going on right now. The fact that they have to pass legislation means that they are up to more than that. You can take that to the bank.

My personal concern is that this will cause them to also restrict boaters in the area. I think you can take that to the bank as well. Hell, I've been 40nm out and been boarded by the coasties for a 'safety' inspection. They come running up in their little inflatable with the machine gun mounted on the bow and it's "yes sir, no sir". If you think those guys can intimidate you, just wait till the military gets ahold of the island. If they don't want you drifting for flatties cause they got some general whos showing up at the pier that day then you're s#!t outta luck. Next thing you know, the whole thing is closed off and they got their own little club med with hunting AND fishing.

If you don't think it can happen, think again. So much for the $30 million dollars of taxpayer money that we spent for the national park. YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK.

Personally, I don't trust the SOBs in DC and I don't want to take the chance.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Hey Greg,

You're damn right the Riff Raft will be out there. They'd have to arrest my ass to keep me away.

Hey sorry I missed ya out there on Thursday. I guess we were all out there playing "hooky" :) (pun intended).

·
Registered
260 Posts

Got that right buddy,
I'll keep you company in the cell, some things are too good to miss!
Shades of San Onofre in the old days!

Andale

1 - 13 of 13 Posts