Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching line winders on-line and DAMN they're expensive!

ALL the things I've read about the Sato Line Winder has been positive, nothing negative.

Cheapest price i've found on the Sato heavy duty line winder kit is over at Charkbait for $369.99.

Can't seem to find anyone that has a used one for sale so it's looking like I'll be picking up a new one at Chark's.

But before I do, does anybody have anything negative to say about it?
For the price, is this the best bang for my buck?

Also, for those of you have have a Sato Line Winder, what drill did you buy?
From what I've read, I've got to buy a 1/2" corded 5.5-6 Amp drill. Would it be better if I bought say an 8 Amp? Most of the drills I've seen have that front handle on the drill, is this going to be an issue?
Lastly, most recommendations have either suggested the Craftsman or Milwuakee. Would you agree?

All my reels are spooled to the top with braid, so I have to buy a line winder so I can clean the braid and prevent corrosion.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

BiggetyBones

·
Registered
593 Posts
Dave hit it right..You really have to line the reel and the turning arm up or it tends to wobble a bit..Great bang for the buck,I am using a 6 amp slow RPM Makita 1/2 inch drill motor.Plenty of power to put spectra on most big 2 speeds,I have done 50 wide reels with no problems.

·
Registered
639 Posts
i have the early model matched with a high torque sears craftsman drill for ~$60 (on sale). imo, its the best winder you'll find for anywhere near the price. the latest version appears to be simplified with a new reel seat/stand setup.

This post edited by puroagave 06/18/2008

·
Registered
70 Posts
Our group "the Barking Spiders" purchased one of the original Sato line winders. It has been very serviceable and has spooled miles of line. I do, however suggest the newer one to avoid wobble. The reel seat and support for the older one wobbles a lot. It looks like Gary got it right with the new model as it appears to have a square piece for a reel seat and that would be great. We may buy that one in the future.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
re: Sato Line Winder upgrades

I also have one of the early Sato winder that I bought as a kit at FHS a number of years ago. The wobble is more pronounced with the larger reels. I have solved part of that problem by using the reel clamp and clamping the reel down in addition to the reel seat. I use a Sears Craftsman 6.0 amp drill and bought the extra warrantee with it four yrs ago but that drill is a powerhorse and still keeps turning. The extra handle that it shows on the box is removable and can just be left off as it is not needed. I have used the winder on up to my 80s size reel without a problem. You do have to let the drill rest and cool off when spooling such a large reel....and let your arms rest too as it is a strain to keep pressure on the spool. I use gloves and a wet towel to cut down on the friction.

The only downside to the sato winder in comparison to the triangle winder is that it does not do removal of line from the reel back onto a spool for washing. However, you can jerry rig one using a bolt through a empty spool and mounting it onto the drill. Luckily, I also own a triangle so I do my un-spooling with that one but always use the Sato for spooling back onto the reel as it has so much more torque than the triangle.

I also miss a good line counter on mine so I jerry-rigged it so that my counter off my triangle serves double duty on the Sato as well. In fact, I liked it so much that I bought another counter from triangle so that I no longer have to make the switch.

Also, the Sato does not spool spinning reels....but again, the triangle does so ... Get both. lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.