Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved a phone call several months ago from my brothers back on the island of Guam. They asked me that their is a family fishing friend who moved to Las Vegas that he is just dying to go fishing. I told them that i cannot compete with the local fishing compared to the wahoo, mahi mahi, marlin, and so on that he was used to. this is a totally different animal ... Glen was a hardcore salty and doing the freshwater gig at las vegas local waters just does not do it for him.

my family have an unspoken islander understanding that a friend of the family is a friend of mine regardless. they can send people my way knowing full well that they will be welcomed with open arms.

i got the call from Glen saying that he will be headind down this
way this week-end and asked if we could do some fishing. I told him that the targets right now would be bass or cudas because the water was going to be too lumpy for bottom fishing.

we met Friday evening for dinner at the Disney's Grand Hotel Storyteller's Cafe. we had a great dinner and then treated them into the park for the rest of the evening to enjoy.

okay... sometimes thier is a story behind the fishing trip that to me is more important than the fishing itself. here is a person that lives several hundred miles away and is driven to fish saltwater even with the cost of fuel to road trip here to southern cal.

i called up Richard,( Performance Tackle and GES Sheet Metal co-worker ) and asked him if he would be game to buddy boat and head out this day with his boat and crew. He gathered his crew of his brothers. I had RJ, Glenn and myself running on my boat. the plan was to head towards the flats and have a shot at the bass and the cudas. picked up a scoop of 'dines for Glen to use just in case.

i poured some custom swimbaits for this trip based on what i saw earlier last week when i helped Heidi fillet her fish. what a reminder for me for me why i don't like to keep fish. when i was on the island, i made money as a kid fishing and selling my catch. I caught alot of fish for years so i have cut open alot of fish. my first year of owning my boat, beside coming to america with the nina, pinta and santa maria, yes... it seems a very long time ago, my wife asked me never to bring home fish .. thats the polite version.

we did head down the way and it was border line nasty conditions. I reached behind me to check if i had a kidney or not. dang, it hurt going out AGAINST the southern push! not many times i can say that.

well, rich warned me that the cudas were down towards the dome. I felt ( if you read last week report, didn't have a good track record ) that we had a chance to hit the cudas. well, Rich was right.
it was a ghost town at the flats. there was only 2 or 3 other boats fishing the area.

started to fish find the area and found a spot that resembled a bass TREE. i told Glen that we were going to fish the plastics and that we were not interested in fishing the live bait. He looked at us like we were crazy. " you have REAL BAIT and you are not even going to fish them? " was his response.

we told him that we will catch more fish with plastics by far then we will with bait. he didn't believe us but was a willing sport and worked the swimbait.

out of glen's first 5 drops, he caught 4. Besides my comment, " lucky arse! never fails. ) he was hooting and hollering. he didn't realize the jolt that you get from getting slammed with the plastics.
he was stoked!

called in richard, he fished the area with us then he ran down the line. he had a hunch and was he ever right. he called us in on a wide open bite that was rippin'. WITH BIG BASS!

we pulled up and we can see all of their rods hanging. i went to the inside of them and almost instantly, rj and i both get hung with some killer bass. 2#'er here, 3#'er there, another 3#, then a 4#'er, couple of 2#'ers and then the 5#'er, another 4#'er, couple of 3#ers then throw in the mix with some 6#ers and 7#'ers and you know we were having a killer day.

you should have seen the look on Glen's face when he gets ripped with these slammers. luckily i poured a bunch of swimmies and we were getting worked with a 1 bass-to-a-plastic ratio.

finally a killer day with some hardcore fishermen with nice huge bass on the eat. there must have been a load of followers because once we get short bit ... quick free spool and we are on again.

i would have taken more pictures especially of richard's boat with all of thier stiks on the bendo. dang... that was some good fishing.

Fishing Technical:

RJ : 8'0" Shimano Calcutta rod, Shimano TE 300 reel filled with 50# spiderwire stealth with a # 40# fluro top shot. swimbait: 1-1/2" oz. brown leadhead

Glen: Old school " Tiger rod " , diawa gold spinning filled with 25# test.:

8'-0" All Star rod, Diawa Millionaire filled with 30# stealth. 2' top shot of 40# fluro. swimbait: red 1-1/2" leadhead.

Myself: 8'6" All Star rod, shimano 200 series curado filled with 30# stealth top shotted with 2' of 40# fluro.

8'0" All Star rod, shimano chronarch filled with 30# test stealth top shotted with 2' of 30# fluro.

i will post the colors of the swimmies that we used and the 3 or so pics that we took later today.

sorry but i gotta take my mom ( in law ) to the cemetary to place flowers for the family and thats more important right now.

c-ya on da wada!

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Well now you just gotta know that I love a report like that Larry, where you tell your buddy that you'll get more fish tossin the swimmies. :) And them sound like some nice bass!

Sounds like we're talkin 'sandies'?? making the traditional move into the flats????

Nice to hear you're doing good with the hand pours

hasta

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Matt wrote:

Hafa Adai Larry,

I was out locally yesterday and we also had a steady pic on the bass plus about a 12lb BSB.

Matt
20 Skippy Open

Hafa Adai Matt,

It has been a very long time since we have had a serious killer trip like that. we even had a 40-50 mud marlin hit the swimmie... kinda wierd.

hope to see you out there....

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bajachris said:
Well now you just gotta know that I love a report like that Larry, where you tell your buddy that you'll get more fish tossin the swimmies. :) And them sound like some nice bass!

Sounds like we're talkin 'sandies'?? making the traditional move into the flats????

Nice to hear you're doing good with the hand pours

hasta

hey ya Chris...

just gotta say straight out that you were my inspiration about slinging plastics, pouring them, and now... even harder to get away from chuckin' them to bass, tuna, whatever.

this is a duel report so i can say that we were about 60/40 sandies/calicos and richard's boat was about 30/70.

you know that i am a staunch deepwater 60-100 ft. zonefiler. but we had incredble conditions and i was so stoked. not only were we the only boats out there but we were screamin' like little [email protected] from one boat to another. Richard's boat was red hot with doubles and triples big bass.

I never thought that i will see so many open water calicos. I always thought that they were structure oriented but this was not the case. they were on the chump and we just happen to be at the right place at the right time.

kinda got that renewed energy that jolts me into the season.

hope to see you out there soon.

larry

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
here is the color that was bit the most on our boat. On Richard's boat, it was a mix between Hammers and Pearls. Don't know the names of their swimbaits. gonna buddy boat again with rich again this week. gonna mix up the boyz with another set of crew memebers and we are going to try S.M. Bay. may add another 2 boats if my buddy will only fix his livewell pump and if my niece's husband can get a crew together for his boat. we'll see ... hopefully. Note: I am at my L.A. pad right now but my tackle box is at my other pad in cerritos. i will get the colors tomorrow and get them posted. also, tried a new Japanese restraunt and all i can say is that i have been paying for it the last 2 days with misery in and out of the bathroom. my daughter even found a bug crawling in her vegetables ... should have walked right then. needless to say that is the first and last time i will ever go to that place near south and pioneer.

This post edited by Islandah 06/11/2008

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.