Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of sticks wrapped there 6-8 yrs ago and I had a couple more wrapped at the same time at Bob Sands. The colors I had done at both places were identical but the wraps from Sav On have bleached and faded to the point where it doesn't even resemble the original color while the ones I had wrapped at Bob Sands still look like the day I picked them up. I'm in no way knockin Sav On because I always liked the store and the rods are great with no failure, they just ended up ugly. What causes the wraps to bleach out that way? Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sounds to me like they either forgot to put color preserver on or not enough. For those that don't know or have never wrapped a rod after the wrap takes place a color preserver goes on and if done properly the color should stay the same for a very long time.
Go to a place and buy some color preserver and put it on then add a couple coats of the two part finish cover and mix it well and wait till all the bubbles are gone and turn the rod at least every 15 minutes so the finish doesn't pile one the bottom like big drip.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
boeing461 said:
Sounds to me like they either forgot to put color preserver on or not enough. For those that don't know or have never wrapped a rod after the wrap takes place a color preserver goes on and if done properly the color should stay the same for a very long time.
Go to a place and buy some color preserver and put it on then add a couple coats of the two part finish cover and mix it well and wait till all the bubbles are gone and turn the rod at least every 15 minutes so the finish doesn't pile one the bottom like big drip.
Huh?
If it is faded already, nothing is going to bring it back.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Bubba, there are nylon threads and their are ncp threads. The nylon threads need color preserver prior to finishing with epoxy. The ncp thread do not need color preserver as it already has it ( ncp= no color preserver ). Most likely, a color preserver was not applied to nylon thread or the thread was defective. Another cause can be that one rod was left in the sun more than the other. The only way to restore the rod is to re-wrap it. If it has not been too many years, you can take it back to Sav-on tackle and see what they say. I would also take the ones that did not fade.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jureal said:
Bubba, there are nylon threads and their are ncp threads. The nylon threads need color preserver prior to finishing with epoxy. The ncp thread do not need color preserver as it already has it ( ncp= no color preserver ). Most likely, a color preserver was not applied to nylon thread or the thread was defective. Another cause can be that one rod was left in the sun more than the other. The only way to restore the rod is to re-wrap it. If it has not been too many years, you can take it back to Sav-on tackle and see what they say. I would also take the ones that did not fade.
Thanks for that mel, I understand what you're saying but these sticks were all pretty much subjected to the same conditions, some faded really bad others didn't but once again, the sticks were wrapped with to different wrappers. I can't take a Bobs Sands stick into Sav On and ask what happened, no? Maybe I'm missing something here. I just know the Sav On wrapps ended up a mess...

·
Registered
639 Posts
could also be the finish. flex coat tends to yellow and craze whereas other topcoats dont (as much). metallic thread fades more than non. different brands of thread fade and loose color, batch variations, etc...i had martin (yo's fame) match older rods he did a few years prior and what i thought was turquoise(metalic thread) was actually dark blue. we cut away some wraps and he was right.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have 4 rods that were made at save on tackle with the same colors metallic green ncp white and metallic red two of the rods started to get yellow after a couple of years the other two not as much i think it's the finish that they use i wrap my own rods now and i use ThreadMaster finish and after 3 years the colors are still like the day i finish them some finish star yellowing specially if its white theread.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Sun light and UV rays kill color.. However, since you don't fish much more than a couple of times a year, that shouldn't be the problem since your rods don't see the light of day! j/k :p
Flex Coat and Classic Coat finishes are notorious for yellowing, but favored by a lot of builders because they are high build, one coat finishes. :\
Now a days, most finishes have UV inhibitors added to the resins of the 2part finish.
If it bothers you too much, :x I'd bring them back to Sav On and ask about rewrapping your rods.

·
Registered
9,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As always, good info, thanks everybody, even you Aku, just kiddin my brother.8) I'll take them by Sav On when I'm in the area.

This post edited by Bubba 06/22/2008

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm a cheap old goat and try to buy good quality older rods and reels at the swap meet. I clean the rods with a gentle soap, let it dry and put a couple good coats of wrap finish on it and It's amazing how just that brings the color out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.