Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on leaving for San Clemente Isl. this Thursday evening, fishing Saturday, then heading to Catalina for the next night. I just checked the SCI Area Usage Schedule ( http://www.scisland.org/schedules/usage/usage.php ) and would like some info on howh to interpret the site. Are the gray areas the closed areas during the times posted? The one that concerns me is the SHOBA/BX area which is the entire south end of the island, including Pyramid. If you click on Friday the 28th, is there anything you see listed there that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance. This is my first time heading out there. Most of my trips are usually to Catalina. Any other tips for the trip to the island?

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
When you go to the usage schedule, look at the upper right hand corner of the calendar and you will see "Help" written in red. Click on that and you will find lots of info to help you interpret the schedule and closure areas.

The SHOBA/BX closure you refer to is an air operations closure. It indicates that the closure is from ".5-3k" which indicates that the area is closed to air traffic from 500 feet to 3000 feet. That's good news for you.

The closures you need to be concerned with are those such as the 3803XX which closes the shaded area from "FL-SFC" which indicates that the area is closed for traffic from the ocean floor to the ocean surface (including the ocean surface). In other words, no boats allowed. Or the 3803SE closure which closes from "0-1k" which indicates a closure from zero feet (i.e. the ocean surface) to 1000 feet - again, no boats allowed (I used to think this one was ok for surface traffic but I've now been told differently).

You also see the U12T12 closure which is from FL-3K which indicates the area is closed to traffice from the ocean floor to 3000 feet above the ocean surface - obviously no boats.

One thing to note, always be careful to scroll down on the area schedule screen. The way the screen is broken up can be confusing and its easy to miss the area closures on the bottom (which you have to scroll down on the bar in the upper right to see). I have missed closures before by not scrolling down.

There is a number you can call with questions but I don't know where it is - I'll post it if I can find it. Maybe it's on the site and you can find it. When in doubt, call (versus listening to me or anybody else!). When you are out there you are supposed to monitor 16 (as you always are) as the Navy can change things at any time.

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts