All Coast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going over to Catalina for three days and was thinking we might catch a bonita or two. Rather than use ice chest space to bring back a few for lobster bait, I was thinking I would create a slush/freeze situation in my (fiberglass) bait tank...Two questions, will this harm the tank? And, how much salt-to-ice-to-water. I only want 4-5 pieces, is this another dumb idea of mine? We're going on the 22nd-24th to the Ishmus....first time with new boat. Thanks,

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
If you file a multi-day permit http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/fg935.pdf
you could come back with 30 Bonito as long as 15 of them are the minimum
length 24 inches. That's 10 per day, 5 under 24 inches and 5 over 24 inches.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not a dumb idea. For slush, I've seen people use a potato, if the potato floated, then you had the right amount of salt/salt H20/Ice combo. I usually dump about half box of rock salt, and some salt water and 20 lb of ice in the cooler.

As far as hurting the bait tank, it shouldn't harm the tank. My only concern would be, the slush won't last that long in your fiberglass tank, due to lack of insulation.

Just my 02.

John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....I'll use the potato idea! I'll give it a try and can always make room in the ice chest if necessary. This isn't really a fishing trip ....but you know how it goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts