Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like the SBMT (small boat marlin tourney) may take off this summer. BigMike , one of the SCMO members (Southern California Marlin Online), is putting together a list of guys interested in doing the small boat marlin tourney this Summer. If you are interested in joining or want to donate prizes or help sponsor the event contact him via email at [email protected]
Or reply to the thred at SCMO
http://www.marlinnut.com/cgi-bin/dcf...3&viewmode=all

Sure hope we can get this thing off the ground as I think it would be a blast for us small boaters to have our own tourney and see who can raise, catch and release the most marlin and crown them self the best small boat marlin crew/boat for the year.

Also, for those that would like to fish the tounry but dont realy have any marlin experiance, I may be able to get Mark W. to do a marlin seminar before the tourny if there is any intrest in him doing one???

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Sounds like a blast, although I don't think I could outfit my boat
fast enough with everything I need. Will you be doing this on your
boat? On Craigs boat?

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
You don't have to do that much in the way of outfitting John. I've got a 25 foot Sea Ox and I've had no problem fishing Marlin on her.

Last year was the first year I seriously fished Marlin on my boat. I fished maybe seven days over the course of a few different tournaments. We raised something like fifteen fish, had seven or eight jig strikes, had three on for at least ten seconds, and landed one. We had multiple fish in the pattern three times.

The only thing I did to outfit my boat was put a clamp-on rod holder on each side of the boat attached to the walk around railing. I angled those out to the side and they put the two outside lures a bit outside of my wake. Not as good as outriggers, but enough to get my lures in a clean water lane.

I pulled four trolling lures and always had a dropback bait pre-rigged and swimming in the tank. When a fish would pop in the pattern the bait would go in the water.

The fish below was caught last September at the 181 on twenty lb Dacron line. It was taken on a drop back mackerel and weighed 111 pounds. I landed him in just over an hour.

Before I get heat for killing the fish, I should explain it was my "button fish" for the Tuna Club. Club rules require that to be a full voting member you must take a hundred plus pound marlin on 20lb Dacron in local waters. The only way to qualify is to take the fish. It's the only Marlin I've ever killed and he smoked up great.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nice fish Bill. It's all aprt of the adventure of owning a private boat. I have thought about local marlin fishing for years and just have not had the time to put in to be successful. That's beauty of a fish and quite an accomplishiment.

CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
John, not sure who's boat we'll do the tourny on and who knows we may end up using both boats and fishing against each other ;) :D. He'd kick my but though!! Also, you wouldn't have to do to much to rig your boat for marlin. Craig doesn't have anything fancy on his ride and usualy just trolls 3 lines and doesn't use outriggers and he has caught local spike and had others hooked up as well. I dont have anything special on my ride but also dont have a spike to my credit yet :(. Hope we can get a good amount of small boats intrested in this as I think it would be a fun event to be in.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Congratualtions on the fish Bill. The only jig strike I have had
came unbuttoned after two jumps and about 30 seconds. The small
boat tourney sounds interesting to me too even though I have not
made any serious attempts at Marlin fishing. I have enough gear to
give it a go and even attended a good seminar a few years ago. Keep
us posted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts