All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm leaving next week for a week trip on the boat. the first night i'll spend in avalon but after that we're heading to san diego. one night will be on the hook in glorieta bay and then we'll start fishing our way north, stopping in at as many harbors as possible overnight. my question is, which harbors have overnight anchorages for a 45' boat? i draw 6.5' and would like to have a few feet under me at low tide just in case.

of particular interest are dana and oceanside harbors. oceanside has a huge area where i've seen 20' boats anchored during the day just before you pass the harbor inn and get inside the main harbor. is this deep enough and open for overnight anchorage? my chartbook says it's off limits but i've seen many people anchored there during the day.

in dana, you used to be able to anchor by the bait dock years ago. are you still able to? on the other side of the harbor near where the pilgrim was i seem to remember people anchoring for the night. on my most recent visit to the harbor i saw several boats anchored up in water that was shallow enough to wade beside their boats! this won't work for me....where do i go?

any other harbors or suggestions? thanks in advance!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I believe you can anchor in Newport Harbor just south of Lido Isle in the turning basin. Otherwise you can rent open moorings from the Harbor Office, there is usually a number availble all over the bay. If you go the mooring route make sure you have your own lines to hook to two cans (bow and stern), they are not set up like Avalon.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
O'Side had good rental docks across from the harbor dept for the night, pretty easy access. Dana has great anchorage at both ends of the harbor, just look for the Yellow buoy's and anchor up in 20' of water. Also the turning basin in Newport is a huge anchorage, again, look for the 4 yellow buoy's and throw the hook inside.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the info. that's good stuff right there! so, based on your pasts the yellow buoys typically mark anchorage areas? i've never seen anything like that before. i'l definitely spend a night in dana.

regarding glorieta bay in san diego, does anyone know of anything good or bad about this place? any tidal information i may find useful? looks pretty straightforward there but you never know....

·
Registered
307 Posts
Oceanside does not allow anchoring overnight, but if you call The Oceanside Harbor Police who manage the guest docks, there is usually plenty of guest dockage available. 760 435-4050

Dana Point - You can anchor west of the yellow cans in the west end, or east of the yellow cans in the east end. Vessels can only be unattended for brief (grocery /restaurant runs) periods, limit 5 days. Guest docks are managed by Dana Point Marina Co. 949 496-6137

Newport has free anchorage, same as Dana Point, in the A anchorage at the south end of Lido Island. Managed by Orange Counties finest.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts