All Coast banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my son out Sunday to fish Pt Fermin or drift for butts inside and I'm wondering what a scoop of dines go for these days.

Maybe we'll see you out there
ERIK

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Where are you launching from. A scoop can very so much from receiver to receiver. I paid 30 the other day in Redondo for what I usually get from in seine for 15 or 20.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's so cheap either way why worry, In Hawai'i not one harbor has a bait barge or bait boat,We gotta make our own,You guys get it easy,If we had the luxury of just pulling up and buying bait we'd really knock some fish,We surround our own w/ nets which takes time and we cure it and put it in live wells and fish it fresh,fresh dead or frozen which in our case works good for most situations,For live bait we gotta spend time over arers they can be but the predators can ruin that a lot,So no grumble over 15-30 bucks when you guys can get scoops of almost any kine hook bait by just pulling up and asking,That's too damn easy,They should have tourneys where they require all boats to make thier own hook bait then see how well guys who depend on buying bait would do,It's all part of the circle,This year the bait has been scarce,That's when trolling tecniques come into play,I'm not talking about hooking Skippies for Marlin,I'm talking about a hook bait similar to macks called opelus, their like Crack cocaine to Mahi's ,Ono's and Tuna....................

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Mahalo for your continued Hawaiian perspective, believe me, it's very helpful! As I've stated to you before, I have fished the Kona waters for many many years, and understand your perspective, I'll be back there in a few weeks! Bait barges are a luxury indeed, and making bait is more the norm than not in other harbors, including Hawaii, so yes, we have it very good. No wonder there are 20 boats fishing one patty for Dorado here Ehhhh? Anyway, for Marlin, we do make our own bait, and put in the time to ensure it is in top condition, and the quantities that we need to throw a fresh supply when we spot our kind. Especially during tournament season, you will see many boats working the harbor entrances and other areas to fill their tanks with the proper bait necessary. As for smaller fin bait, it's actually illegal, as I understand it, to use cast net's here, thus the need for bait barges. If I am incorrect, please correct me! Lastly Hawaiian, I still call them bumpers! ;)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Dat's aright Wideopen you call them whatever them you like "No big Thang"" as we say in Pidgen over here
We don't use throw nets for bait most times,We use a surround net where we use a small skiff to surround the plie w/ a small eye net so they can't gill,We need a bait license to do this but as far as enforcement over here there is none,The always pass new size limmits on the inshore fish but w. nobody around to enforce it why pass them,We keep and eye on the outlaws and sometimes gotta give em cracks so they get the message,Gotta protect our resources and some times we gotta do a little fist and cuff to do this,It's kinda like the wild west here on Kaua'i,We don't bust em up too bad just enough to get our point across plus we take their illegal nets some times
As far as Aku's for Marlin's their hard to beat as bait,We like to eat Aku's so if we see a aku school we put out the small stuff but bring in the big trolling lures cause we really don't target them,I've had more than my share of Blues,a few blacks ,lots of stripers and spearfish,Biggest Marlin I was involved w/ was 888lbs and it was a pain.She died on us and it took a 1 1/2 to plane her up,Never again we'll just cut the line and let the sharks have a Marlin dinner LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts