Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As much as I get tired of watching the rest of the PGA tour simply following Tiger Woods around the course, what Tiger did yesterday, playing in pain, was nothing short of amazing!

To move up on the field 5 strokes as he did with 2 eagles and a birdie on the back nine was wonderful to watch. He has started out the final round badly and it is obvious that his leg hurts a lot. But if he can pull of a win today, I'd say that it was right up there with Ben Hogan winning the Open in 1950 after his accident, or Ken Venturi's Open win in 1964 where he almost collapsed in the heat during a 36 hole final round.

I'd like to see him do it! 8):tu:

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Baja Dreamer said:
what Tiger did yesterday, playing in pain, was nothing short of amazing!
Any more amazing than actually working in pain so you can be able to pay the bills? @(

poor, poor, billionaire tiger woods having to limp around in the grass swinging a stick.

pour me a scotch, will ya?

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
nice spontaneous knee action, tiger

anyone around here ever have a bad knee?

that final move by tiger would have put him on the ground if his knee was truly hurting.

btw: ever since tiger ridiculed players who said that they would be happy to finish in the top ten of a major tournament, my praise for him went away.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wils said:
Any more amazing than actually working in pain so you can be able to pay the bills? @(

poor, poor, billionaire tiger woods having to limp around in the grass swinging a stick.
Uh Wils? Playing golf IS his work. He's damn good at it too, possibly the best that EVER played the game. He also worked at it to get there. And it's dman good work if you can get it! ;)

Wils said:
pour me a scotch, will ya?
Blended or single malt?

Wils said:
anyone around here ever have a bad knee?
Yup. Both knees for about the last 20 years, and a bad back since I was 16.

Wils said:
that final move by tiger would have put him on the ground if his knee was truly hurting.
Which move would that be Wils?

Wils said:
btw: ever since tiger ridiculed players who said that they would be happy to finish in the top ten of a major tournament, my praise for him went away.
Geez Wils, tell us how you really feel.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Baja Dreamer said:
Uh Wils? Playing golf IS his work. He's damn good at it too, possibly the best that EVER played the game. He also worked at it to get there. And it's dman good work if you can get it! ;)
playing is playing and working is working. and I ended my idol-worshipping of millionaires PLAYING many years ago.

Baja Dreamer said:
Wils said:
Which move would that be Wils?
I guess you were out pouring me my scotch when he made that last putt?

Baja Dreamer said:
Wils said:
Geez Wils, tell us how you really feel.
:\ AC censor would spank me if I did.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wils said:
playing is playing and working is working. and I ended my idol-worshipping of millionaires PLAYING many years ago.
Idol worship? I don't even like the guy Wils. I think he is overly arrogant and self important. However that doesn't keep me from appreciateing his skill.

Heck, Ty Cobb was a raging racist ans Babe Ruth was a drunken slob, but they were still two of the best to ever play the game of baseball. I can recognize their skill without idolizing them.

Wils said:
I guess you were out pouring me my scotch when he made that last putt?
Nnnooooooo....................I was drinking it while I watched him make the putt.

Wils said:
:\ AC censor would spank me if I did.
Probably so.

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
re: idol-worship

Baja Dreamer said:
Idol worship?
Wils Dictionary - multiply revised edition

idol worship:
The act of bowing down to one billionaire while totally ignoring the maybe-milloionaire the billionaire has, through an act of freaky rim action, barely equalled in performance.

whiney sore knee MONTHS after minor surgery:
playing up something that is a non-issue within 30 days after the minor surgery to the WORKING class.

:p :)

·
Registered
8,198 Posts

Hell a lot of superior athletes exhibit superior confidence in their abililty and come off as arrogant SOB's. Michael Jordan wasn't the most humble guy around. Maybe that thinking makes them perform better than others and makes them great.

I think some people identify better with the lesser players like Rocco who look and act like the guy next door, but they don't win many championships either.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

SOATS said:
Hell a lot of superior athletes exhibit superior confidence in their abililty and come off as arrogant SOB's. Michael Jordan wasn't the most humble guy around. Maybe that thinking makes them perform better than others and makes them great.
I gotta agree with you there Steve. Athletes in all sports come to mind, and in general it was the superstars who were/are not very likable.

SOATS said:
I think some people identify better with the lesser players like Rocco who look and act like the guy next door, but they don't win many championships either.
It's always fun to root for the underdog. That's whay we have Cubs fans! ;)

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

There is no doubt that Tiger may indeed be the very best to ever play the sport. Like someone else said before, I appreciate his skill but I don't care for him personally. It was interesting on Sunday that he was wincing all around the front nine but didn't on the back, that I could tell. He seemed to know when to show the pain. If he was in such pain, would he really be able to be one of the leaders in distance category? I personally doubt it.

I was really pulling for Rocco simply because he seems like a good guy and he is an old fart like me. I have personally seen Tiger at the Masters and it is a pain to him to acknowledge the crowd. Yet, guys like Els are cordial. Rocco was living his dream and it is unfortunate that a turd like Tiger had to come around at "his" time.

·
Registered
8,198 Posts

Well Chris, I just hope you don't idolize someone like John Daly. :p

Yeah he looks like a guy next door too, but unfortunately like the fat drunk guy next door who drinks his way into an early grave.

What a waste of talent. His career couldn't shouldn't included more tour wins, but he chose another path.

I also heard that Roger Clemens did his old lady. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

John Daily, while originally from Arkansas, claims to live in Memphis, where I live. There are not many locals that pull for him any more because of the antics he has pulled. His old caddy, Brian Alexander quit him because of the abuse.

At the Stanford St. Jude tournament the week prior to the open, I followed Boo Weakley. He is the real deal. I think he is about 9th in FedEx points. He is 35 or so, a bit of a beer gut, but this guy can flat out play. Has a good strong family core around him but says he wants to make enough money so that he can hunt and fish.

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

SOATS said:
Well Chris, I just hope you don't idolize someone like John Daly. :p

Yeah he looks like a guy next door too, but unfortunately like the fat drunk guy next door who drinks his way into an early grave.@
Not hardly Steve. The guy is a real disapointment. He had talent and was one of the longest hitters in the game. But even his swing coach gave up on him saying that the only thing he wants to do is drink! @(

SOATS said:
What a waste of talent. His career couldn't shouldn't included more tour wins, but he chose another [email protected]
I still recall when he came on tour. I don't remember the course but I do remember a hole that was said to be the longest par 5 in the U.S. Open, 630 yards or so, and no one had ever reached it in two. Daly hit driver - 1 iron and went through the green on his second shot! I also remember his win in the British Open in a playoff.

Sad waste of talent. :(

SOATS said:
I also heard that Roger Clemens did his old lady. [email protected]
Roger Clemens did his own mom? [email protected]

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Guess Woods was really hurt

Somewhere in some dark network office, there is someone crying over the fact that Woods is done for the year. There goes the hugh ratings they were hoping for in the last two majors of the year (in fact, for any tournament he normally plays in).

This post edited by SOATS 06/18/2008

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
re: Guess Woods was really hurt

SOATS said:
Somewhere in some dark network office, there is someone crying over the fact that Woods is done for the year. There goes the hugh ratings they were hoping for in the last two majors of the year (in fact, for any tournament he normally plays in).
I think you hit that one on the head!

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
re: Guess Woods was really hurt

Baja Dreamer said:
SOATS said:
I think you hit that one on the head!

FISH HARD!
It's like when Michael Jordan took that one year off and the rating went way down and then way up again when he returned the next year (though he only played 1/2 of the season).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.