Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks! I am looking for a source for big swimbaits. By big, I mean 6 inches and up. I know Big Hammer makes some, and I know Charkbait also have some, but I'm looking for more choices. I just want the bodies with the paddle tail. I don't want those fancy $15 ones that comes complete with hooks.

This post edited by Gunmetal 06/18/2008

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Good call. I was over at their shop today and got to see and test thier swimbaits in a pool firsthand. The bomb.

The #6, bait you're looking for, has an extrememly lifelike action at a medium speed. Does not roll or flatten out no matter how fast you grind it and has a nice tail kick sinking out and at slow retrieve. Just what I like to see, very versatile.

Poured local right here in a durable plastic; just what you're looking for ;)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply guys. I was already checking into Pearl, but they're only available down in SoCal. I don't see anyone carrying it up here in NorCal. Guess I'll have to order them online.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Do you need them immediately? If so, my suggestion won't work.

Do you know what colors you want? And if you don't need them immediately, try Pat Sullivan in Orange County. He custom pours a cross between a Fish Trap and a Big Hammer. He did a great job pouring some 7" custom colored smelt and senorita pattern of my choosing.

He can be contacted at: [email protected]

He's a plastics fisherman himself, so he knows what he's doing and is nice to deal with. He also pours slugs and some other styles. He sells mainly at swap meets.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not in a big hurry. Just looking for more variety. I bought some Big Hammers recently, but the biggest ones available are 6". I think a 7" will be ideal for the 2 oz. jig heads I have.

Calico Bob, how much does Pat sells his swimbaits for?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Gunmetal.....

You would have to call Pat and talk to him directly. Keep this in mind, you can ask him for a "stock" color, which is one that most of us know and have seen, or a custom color, which is what I wanted in having him to my smelt and senorita baits (sorry I don't have photos).

But he did a fine job. However, like most businesses, he's not going to give you the same price if you want three dozen as he would if you want 300.

Just give him a call and tell him you got his phone number from a post from Calico Bob on All Coast. He may not even be interested. I haven't talked to him in months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.