Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering using spectra on some of my outfits. I mostly fish local or islands, 20lb - 40lb outfits, and one or two albacore trips a year. I am interested in the spectra for a couple of reasons. First, using smaller reels with increased line capacity, and second for its "kelp sawing" abilities. I've talked to a few people about it and there seems to be some brands that are preferred and even some colors that are preferred. Any info you guys can provide would be great.

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
On my Curado 300 I've got 50# Izor spectra with a short leader of mono for my "kelp cutter" rig. It won't prevent/solve all your kelp problems... you can still snag a plastic in the kelp and a fish can still wrap itself in the kelp. I'm using green spectra but something more high vis would be better.

·
Premium Member
9,049 Posts
I am using either white Jerry Brown Line One Spectra on my larger reels or green Power Pro on the small bass reels.

I agree with MarkT about the "kelp sawing". You can still lose a lure occasionally but I have found the incidence reduced when using spectra. The down side is you can temporarily find yourself anchored when neither the line nor the kelp wants to break. :)

Hawk

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I've got 30# and 40# Power Pro on some of my other small reels (CT400, PG255, 525 Mag)... I think it's white. Green is pretty stealthy and being able to see it is a good thing. I went with green 50# on the Curado because I wanted to fish straight spectra at times and wanted something stealthy. I think at least a 3' leader is probably always a good idea and therefore visibiliy would be preferable in the spectra. White spectra is pretty visible and even the red is more visible than green which can be hard to keep track of.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Something to remember about spectra.....:

It is way stronger than mono of similar diameter!

It will float and can tangle in a slack line situation.

It can and will cut you and you have to consider that in every situation when you have a tangle.

A lot of times you are pretty far away from medical help.

I use it for steelheading and salmon fishing, also on offshore and sw rockfishing trips. It's great stuff. But I just wanted to give you a few safety tips.

Tight Lines

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.