Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK boys, just loaded my new Avet SX with 300 yds of spectra 50lb and need to know what knots you use for hooks, top shot florocarbon, mono, ect. Going to LA bay over the 4th to catch some of those moss backs and don't want to lose the toads over bad knots. What say you!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
fishybuzz said:
Yep so there you have it...easy fast and it works....uni uni 12 turns on the spectra, 4-5 turns on the mono...
I guess I'm a nutjob, then. I always find it easier to put a bimini in the spectra, and connect the mono with a reverse albright (worm) knot. It's not as fast as a uni-to-uni, but it's pretty quick, and I have more confidence in the connection.

San diego jam or erwin knot to tie on the hook. And if you want to add a fluoro leader to your mono, seaguar, surgeons, or blood all work really well, especially at lighter weights.

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
hmmmm, as Fishy well knows but din't mention, the uni is hardly the "be all, end all" knot LOL. Popular, versatile, and easy would all be accurate adjectives for the uni family, but is it dependable? Tie a few and destructively test them - as all here would agree, the best knot is the one that works for you.

So some humble alternatives might be the worm for spectra/mono, loop-to-loop for spectra/topshot, and double SanDiego for hooks/jigs.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
nine turn albright. Smaller knot than a uni-uni.

Bottom line is what ever you feel good with....tie it and if it lets go....learn a new knot....if it doesn't.....fish it.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
fishybuzz said:
In all seriousness...I have had FC break several times in a row on the east cape with a albright.....so I do not use a albright with FC...:\
Really, fishy? I've never heard that... What about using a bimini-worm connection? You think the same issue would apply?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
re: My beef

I must be a very lucky guy......I tie a albright to mono and use a dummy loop instead of a full bimini but I also tie the albright with the spectra and have never had it fail....small tight knot. I have broke the mono before the knot failed. Almost took the bumper off my care but thats to be expected.......I drive a Yugo ;) and that 3 cylinder car was no match for my albright.

Fish on

·
Registered
17,964 Posts

titan05 said:
I must be a very lucky guy......I tie a albright to mono and use a dummy loop instead of a full bimini but I also tie the albright with the spectra and have never had it fail....small tight knot. I have broke the mono before the knot failed. Almost took the bumper off my care but thats to be expected.......I drive a Yugo ;) and that 3 cylinder car was no match for my albright.

Fish on

Titan I have had zero problems with a mono to spectra connection... my breaks came with a fluoro to spectra albright....perhaps the FC has a greater tendency to fracture :?

or maybe I just don't tie it properly...but I just don't have confidence in my fluro to spectra albright..

·
Registered
7,159 Posts
I've used the Roddy Hayes/Tony Pena/Bob Sands knot to tie leaders on a couple of my baitcasters lately (15-20# mono to 50# izor spectra) because it's supposed to be a smaller knot. No problems so far.

·
Registered
571 Posts

Wahoodad,

JMHO, you don't need to cut the bimini off if the knot is still fine. You can just cut the mono off above the albright and use the albright as the end of the bimini loop to add a new top shot.
With this said, if one feels that the bimini is bad, this setup does use about 6' of line to redo. You can make a bimini that has just enough line to make the albright and use less line per connection.

Just a thought,
Tom

·
Registered
105 Posts

When using the bimini I tie a worm or the yucatan (it could be called any number of names) knot, then finish it with a 3 turn uni to lock it in place and that forms a small ramp up to the knot and it flows thru the eyes better. When I put on a new topshot I cut the mono at the front of the knot, unravel the uni, cut it as close to the spectra as possible then using a pair of needle nose with dull side cutters spliting between the firt and second turn of the (worm/yucatan) knot and pull. The knot simply unravels with out damage to the bimini loop. It takes me all of 15 seconds to perform the procedure and I change out my topshots every trip on up to 10 reels. On 5 day and longer trips I will tie a new knot when bigger model fishies are around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.