All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw on a bug report someone holding up their catch of spider crabs. it got me thinking.....lings are ugly but we eat em. halibut are ugly but we eat em. does anyone REALLY eat these spider crabs? if so, how to you kill them/prepare them. they seem too large to shove in a pot alive like the lobsters.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It was me holding up the spider crab. I was thinking the same thing you were thinking, but one of my crew told me they were good to eat. I brought it home and put it in the steamer. Steamed for about 15 mins, took it outside, and took the hammer to it. I only ate the legs (they were big, so had lots of meat in them) and quite honestly, I thought the meat in the legs tasted better than that of King crab legs.

Just my 2 cents.
John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
When you can eat Lobster John why eat a Spider Crab?
They're edible, but those legs are as thick as bricks and not much meat to warrant the effort.
I've eaten them and they can be okay.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
384 Posts
>It was me holding up the spider crab. I was thinking the
>same thing you were thinking, but one of my crew told me they
>were good to eat. I brought it home and put it in the
>steamer. Steamed for about 15 mins, took it outside, and took
>the hammer to it. I only ate the legs (they were big, so had
>lots of meat in them) and quite honestly, I thought the meat
>in the legs tasted better than that of King crab legs.
>
>Just my 2 cents.
>John
>"Bass Hole"
>26' Striper WA
>
>

A guy was reading the news paper and noticed an article about a farmer successfully engineered a new peach flavor like CAT (the smelly kind). This guy got curious and since the farm was not too far away, to he drove to the farm the next weekend.

Met up the farmer, explained the reason why he is there, the farmer lead him to the peach tree, proudly standing next to the tree and say "go ahead, feel free to pick one and taste it". This guy reach out and picked a peach from the tree, wipe it down on the shirt and took a bite ... P..U...spet it out and yield to the farmer saying "this peach taste like sh1t"... The farmer laughed and say to the guy "turn it around"....

John, the spider crab leg tasts good, but the body and the brown goo, that's where all the real goodies are...(turn it around, turn it aourn ... hahaha )

·
Registered
896 Posts
>When you can eat Lobster John why eat a Spider Crab?
>They're edible, but those legs are as thick as bricks and not
>much meat to warrant the effort.
>I've eaten them and they can be okay.
>
>John.
>Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

Man can't live on bugs alone.... or can they??? lol

John
"Bass Hole"
26' Striper WA

·
Registered
231 Posts
I too have cooked them and yes they are edible and pretty darn good. The problem is you need to wear good goggles or a face shield when cracking them. It's like breaking a porcelain toilet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts