Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI...ALLCOASTER , there is anyone can help me,what is easy and simple way to start make a squids when squid boat not avaible
i dont have inverter on the boat .Thanks inadvance
MERRY X-MAS AND HAPPY HOLLIDAY TO ALLCOASTER AND FAMILY.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
Here you go....super bright...easy to use and store.
http://www.scuba.com/shop/product.asp?category=49&fromsearch=1&hashvalue=030058

http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/forum/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=315&topic_id=142270&mesg_id=142270&page=

·
Registered
354 Posts
OK That is a cute accessory to have for a small boat. Would also make a great deck light on a very small boat attached to the flybridge mast or radar arch. Running on bateries will present a problem if you don't have deep cycle ones in good condition fully charged . 130W is an 11 amp draw and that will most likly go brown in 30 min. to an hour so battery power may not be a good idea. I know I would not drain stored power on squid lights, instead reccommend a honda generator of 500-1000w and 120v Halogen lights. Not saying it's better just safer. BUT keep exaust from entering the cabin.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
>>>> OK That is a cute accessory to have for a small boat. Would also make a great deck light on a very small boat attached to the flybridge mast or radar arch.Running on batteries will present a problem if you don't have deep cycle ones in good condition fully charged . 130W is an 11 amp draw and that will most likely go brown in 30 min. to an hour so battery power may not be a good idea. >>Not saying it's better just safer.>BUT keep exaust from entering the cabin.

·
Registered
354 Posts
>>>130W is an 11 amp draw and that will most likely go brown in 30 min. to an hour so battery power may not be a good idea. >>> >>>130W is an 11 amp draw and that will most likly go brown in 30 min. to an hour unless you have a deep cycle battery (marine) fully charged to sacrifice to the light gods so battery power may not be a good idea. I saw no decrease in the out put of light after two hours of use...I only started the boat up just because i wanted to make sure all was well....I then changed to dual battery to recharge the battery that was being drawn from. **** Aside from having much less light than you will get from a 300W or 500W halogen light how will it be less expensive if it needs to be recharged in mid use by a V8 engine using $3 gallon gasoline ? >>I know I would not drain stored power on squid lights, instead recommend a honda generator of 500-1000w and 120v Halogen lights.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Hey Mike, Happy Holidays to you and your family bro. I happen to have the same lights and they work great. The package that the lights come in say DO NOT USE OUT OF WATER, these lights are halogen and get very hot. Use out of water would cause a melt down. I use two of them and
you are right, they impressed me with their effectivness. The fello that said these lights are cute certainly has never used them before.
I use one on each side of the stern. I have not had any battery problems. If Iam going to use them for extened periods of time I allow my engine to idle,this makes them even more brite. They are very effective, require no rigging, and they stow very easily. Got mine from Blue Ocean Tackle .com... BIG TENTACLES OUT !!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THANKYOU for all respone.black fish way sure it goodway to start out and inexpesive,Honda portable generator $800 Pacific edge 300w $400
that little too much for start out.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Ok here you go

You will need the underwater lights in conjunction with the 500 watt halogen or 400 watt metal highlight get a small portable gen set and a Crowder net.

Keep the Gen set on the bow away from the cabin where the exhaust can vent and dissipate use your finder to find squid if you are challenged as to the use of your finder attend one Pacific edge finder class.

When you locate the squid then drop the underwater light in as deep as you can and turn on the gen set and above water light slowly over time raise the underwater light to bring the squid closer to the surface the squid will come up and float or stay down and come up in spurts you must have a Crowder for this which is two poles with a net stretched between them the size will depend on your boat.

Use the Crowder like this as the squid come through and it will be fast keep the Crowder out of the water but in hand ready to plunge into the water in front of the charging Squid then as the squid stop to avoid the net push the ends of the poles way from the boat and up making a pocket in the net scooping up the squid.

You may only get three or four shots at this a night so be ready at all times there is nothing worse then not being ready and having 100 Squid jet through after sitting there two hours waiting.

This is a trick you could also use when you can see them but they wonâ??t come up lift the underwater light up to about 1 to 2 feet below the surface then turn off the above water light sometimes this will endues the Squid to charge the underwater light.

Hopefully you will get the job done quick so everyone can sleep a little before you pull on fish and remember always keep a pole with a jig and Squid in the water on the clicker when doing this because you are not the only one hunting Squid at night.

Hope this helps

Don

·
Registered
354 Posts
>THANKYOU for all respone.black fish way sure it goodway to
>start out and inexpesive,Honda portable generator $800 Pacific
>edge 300w $400
>that little too much for start out.
>@@@^^^^^^ OK LETS LOOK at THIS Diff-er-ent-ly ~~~
:+ :p :+ You can spend all the money that you need to spend to make yourself feel good and get nothing for it in return.You get what you pay for and sometimes you don't. Don't do things the pacific edge way unless you can paypay pay. Even though I DO HAVE a P.E.bait tank (its cool)I still do my own custom work &installs for everything. For me it was a 500W honda, under $300 and a 300W Halogen light for under $20. }( real simple setup :p works perfect. No B.S.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
What kind of boat and motor do you have (year, model, size)?
Please post a picture if you could.
What species do you mainly fish for?
Maybe you could share some of your techniques that make you
successful catching the species you like to fish for the most?
Where is your home harbor and/or launch ramp?
Maybe you could post a picture of your squid light setup also?
C'mon, lay it out there for us.

Happy Holidays.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have a 28' Albin and I use a 1850 Watt Coleman $389.00 I run two Floodzilla lights 400 watt metal highlight (Went to school with Art) $100 each $5.00 modified mount each and one underwater white $15.00 and one underwater green $22.00 total cost $636.00 I use a Crowder I made from two 10 feet cement poles $30 Bucks (Home Depot) and a replacement net from Pacific Edge cant remember how much.

At $60.00 dollars a scoop this system paid for is self by my tenth trip.

I agree a 300 watt halogen will work fine in the winter but when the fishing is good (Spring and Fall) the squid is hard to find and this system will leave you watching other land trophies while you fish fin bait.

The underwater light is cheap about 15 bucks that with the 300 watt light will increase your odds by double of success.

Fuel for trip is minimum $100.00 planning and execution are the keys to success and I would rather be looking at it then for it and its hard to fill that fuel tank when theres nothing to show for it.

Don

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey JSea, you're always there helping everyone so I'll try to kickdown what I can. I think i'm going shopping for some hardware to build some REAL squid lights. Crackodawn has the right idea.keepin it short, I gleened this photo from a website that will remain nameless inorder to avoid conflict.IF you have to remove the picture it's OK They sell them at a reasonable cost for those folks that need it now today and can't wait. IT is very much like my setup. This one is a 500W lamp but it could be converted to 300W if your generator is only 500W max output or less or you feel it is too much. Very simple and cheap. Also it makes a nice heater for your hands.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I agree re:Generator. I have a Honda EX650, it is very quiet, uses very little fuel and I have run both the Underwater 12V lights as well as the 300 and 500 Watt Halogen lights.
I have never had a problem and you can even use it to power a Battery Charger.

HD

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Check at PE. I believe they carry a little 12v green floresent (SP??) light that works very well and is very efficient. IIRC under $30.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
First, get yourself a small Honda EU1000i or Yamaha EF1000is generator. You can find them used on ebay for around $500. Then get your self a 400w metal halide ballast and socket(you can find them on ebay as well) and make a small enclosure to install the mogul to and mount the ballast in a dry spot or mount it to an electricle cord long enough to keep it away from the moisture or water that's geting flung around by the crowder net and squids. Mount the enclosure to a piece of pvc pipe and have it set just below the rail so the light doesn't blind you. Plug it in and walla, you got a squid light. Here's a picture of my cheappo setup (going to move up to a P.E light soon, looks nicer and cleaner is smaller and has a bitchen reflector to amplify the light). My setup ran me $500 for the EU1000i and about $150 or so(cant remeber the exact price) for the ballast, mogul, and two
20,000k bulbs. Here's a couple pics of it.

The cheappo light

Mounted on the stern of the boat below the rail

Tested in the driveway (notice the diference in light intensisty compaired to the holigan pic posted earlier and thats with out a reflector inside the light housing))

Same spot on the driveway 5 min earlier with the light off
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/530/medium/332P1010051.]

Squid floating on the backside of Cat under new light
[img]http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/500/medium/332squid_float_5-14.jpg

Crowding squid with aP.E 6x6 crowder

and the reward for making your own squid

Also, along with the crowder you should have a long handled dip net to get singles and doubles when they just wont fully float and also a short handled dip net to get the squirts outta the crowder without knocking everyone on board out with a long handled one. Bring plenty of p bags to put the leftovers in too so you can use them on the next trip.

p.s If you dont want to mess with the wires, ballast, lights ect. or you dont think you got the skills or you just want something realy clean,nice, safe stop by the P.E shop as we got everything you need to make squid along with first hand knowledge on how/where to use it.

Good luck on the project which ever way you choose to go,

Behdad
P.E Staff

1 - 17 of 17 Posts