Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Stamoid cover on my Shamrock and the Stamoid is starting to get sticky and tacky on the outside.
Is there a cleaning product that will help eliminate the grunge without harming the Stamoid? The Stamoid site says to just use a mild mixture of dish soap and water, but I don't think that's gonna cut through the grime. I'm also worried that maybe the Stamoid material is beginning to break down and that's why the cover is becoming so sticky. Is this possible?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ali,

I too have a stamoid cover. It is not sticky yet, but I use Feron Clean for all our outdoor covers and plastics (umbrellas/patio furniture/boat cover/spa cover).

This stuff will disolve the sticky residue no problem and leave it clean and like new. It sometimes takes one or two applications but melts away all the sticky stuff.

I use their Feron protectant, or the 303 UV protectant after cleaning.

It amazing stuff and has not harmed the stamoid. It is sold at most patio furniture shops.

-Joe

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Ali,

Stamoid is a polyester weave with a PVC top coat. You'll want to stay away from any petroleum based cleaner, but non-abrasive household cleaners should work fine or even some of the citrus-based ones.

You could also try stove fuel alcohol, which dissolves all kinds of grime, but you'll want to add some UV protectant to the material after cleaning, as it will strip away all oils as it removes the grime.

To be sure, test a small corner or sample to insure you're ok with the results.

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
RE: Sticky Stamoid

When my boat was moored in Newport Harbor, we had issues with jet fuel/exhaust falling out of the sky and grimming up my covers. Have you tried Simple Green? It worked pretty well for me.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts

Simple Green or Fast Orange should work pretty well. At least it's probably where I would start.

Cheers, Bill

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks, I'll try dish soap or Simple Green first.
A guy I know who does a lot of canvas/bimini work in Newport took a look at my cover and said the UV coating on the Stamoid is breaking down and that's what is causing the stickiness. Bummer. Hope it will still clean up ok.

·
Registered
99 Posts

By all means, I would suggest everyone try the common house hold cleaners first. They work. When you get tired of really scrubbing, try the Feron.

I use soft scrub, liquid sink detergent, and orange 409 regularly to clean dirty vinyl cushions (and the boats in general). The "sticky" always comes back quickly when they vinyl is degrading, and the cushions need some hard scrubbing to get it all off.

The Feron Clean disolves it with a gentle brushing or scotch bright sponge. It may take 1 or 2 applications to get it all off, but when protected afterwards, it stays "sticky free" substantially longer.

I am not affiliated with Feron, but it worked for me http://www.gordonferon.com/feronclean/feronclean.htm

How can this be biodegradable? I have no idea...it is truly chemistry in action.

-Joe

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I use 4U cleaner. Captains locker caries it. A lot stronger than Simple Green, Greased lightning, or other bio cleaners. Double the price of those cleaners.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, now things have really gotten "sticky".
We made a call to the Stamoid distributor out of Fort Lauderdale today to see what they would suggest using to get rid of the stickiness. The representative said they have had numerous complaints from people about their Stamoid tops/covers having this happen. He said the stickiness is occurring because the polymers in the Stamoid are breaking down and reverting back to a liquid state. He said they've been having this problem a lot with Stamoid lately, and that it has been happening especially in the Los Angeles, San Diego area. Weird. He said my cover is basically on its way out, and that once the Stamoid polymers are completely broken down, there will just be some fabric left that will rot in the sun and fall apart eventually. Super.
He said this has become a major problem with Stamoid, and that he is flying to Switzerland to the main factory this week to address the issue and see if their is any solution. He offered me some replacement Stamoid to make a new cover, but the cost of the material is about 1/6 the total cost of making a new cover. What's the point.
Anyway, we're supposed to get in touch again when he returns from the main factory and "settle things". He said to go ahead and clean the cover with whatever the heck we feel like because it's basically gonna rot no matter what we use.

So, for anyone thinking about making anything out of Stamoid....I'd rethink your choice of fabrics until the manufacturer figures things out.

I'm so depressed, I think I'll go fishing tomorrow....

·
Registered
99 Posts
Ali,

How many years did you get out of the stamoid cover?

Our cover is under 1 year old with no degredation. The problem for us is that condensation forms on the inside. (and leaves a small puddle of fresh water on the deck each night)

The whaler next to me has a stamoid cover that is totally sticky, after 3 years of ZERO care. I would guess he has 1 or 2 years max left, if not cleaned and treated now.

I hoped to get 6-8 years with regular care and UV protection.

-Joe

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Ali,

Sorry about the news... that sucks!

But maybe it's not so weird...

The LA and San Diego areas are heavily affected by pollution from Airliners that dump fuel off our coast as they approach landing or from excessive fuel usage during take offs.

In the early 90's GM and several other automakers were hit very hard with paint finish problems on new EPA mandated water based primers and finishes that were peeling, which also happened to be more prevalent in the San Diego, LA regions... which basically was a form of acid rain.

The breakdown of the top coat (PVC), may be related to some of these same problems, which may also show up as spotting on your vinyl cushions or the degrading of varnish finishes for those under the flight path of John Wayne Airport.

On a side note, if you are looking for a great Canvas, Stratglass, Barrett guy..., I've got a lead for you on the best in the OC/LA area. Outstanding work and great pricing.

Cheers, Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts