Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
School ended on Wednesday and Thursday morning the kids and I were heading north to get out of town for a few days. The plan was to take advantage of the warm weather and get out to Anacapa and Santa Cruz for an overnight. Our 5 year old has expressed interest in going out on Grandpa's boat so we thought this would be the perfect time to get her out there.

Unfortunately, Jason had to stay home and work so I was the lucky one to take the kids. My mom decided last minute to join us so we had a full boat with both my parents, two kids, and myself. We headed out Friday morning after getting bait from the fuel dock in Ventura. Saw Dave (Sweet Marissa) on his new boat heading out for the day as well. The plan was to #1 make this a fun trip for the kids and #2 try to catch a fish but not put too much effort into it if the kids were bored. As we headed across the flat calm waters about 10 miles out we came across a big pod of dolphin that wanted to play. This was Ellie's first time seeing the dolphins off the bow and she was loving it! We spent close to a half hour doing this and as an added bonus I was able to lean over and touch a couple of them.

We headed up the backside of Anacapa and the water was a clean 65-66. We saw the Aloha Spirit and went to visit with Shawn for a little bit. We set up a ways above him and I had Jack rigged up with a 1/4oz sliding sinker and an Owner mutu light red circle hook (Jack picked it out of the tackle box and said it would be his lucky hook). Jack has graduated from spinning reels to conventional so I recently got him a Shimano Tekota 300 and had it filled with spectra and a topshot of 30# F/C. He is Mr. Independent now and wants to bait his own hook which I let him do. A few minutes later he says he has a fish and it takes off towards the bow. He followed the fish, I helped him adjust the drag and he fought this thing on his own. We could see the head shakes in the rod tip and could tell it was a feisty fish whatever it was. It didn't take long and we had color and it was a seabass! I gaffed the fish and it measured out at about 31". Not huge but just the right size for him to get on his own. I was so proud watching him fight that fish and he was a very happy little guy!

We stuck it out there for a while and saw a nice school of yellows come through that wanted nothing to do with our baits. We then headed over to Santa Cruz and fished around Yellow Banks. We set up on a fishy looking spot and right away I had a seabass on with about 5 others following it up. My fish was questionably legal and I didn't want to bring it on board to measure it so we released it in the water. Then the wind blew us off the spot and we were not able to find the fish again. We did get a few calicos in there before calling it a day.

By now the kids were getting restless and wanted to go swimming. We set up for the afternoon/evening in Smugglers and were pleasantly surprised by the 68 degree water. We swam, the kids played on the boogie boards, and I took the kids for a ride in the raft. When we got back Jack caught the last fish of the day, a nice halibut caught on a Spanish Mack. He ended up out fishing all of us! Just before the sun went down it was a comfortable 75-80 degrees and then the wind started blowing off the island and it felt like a blow dryer. It must have been 90-95 degrees and it stayed that way until 10pm!

It was too hot to sleep in the cabin with the kids so I set up a bed for the three of us on deck. I awoke at midnight to the unmistakable sound of a kid getting ready to puke. All of a sudden I was wide awake pushing Ellie towards the rail. She left a nice trail along the way and when she was done she passed out again. So now it's midnight, a long way until morning and I have no more blankets to cover up with except the one with puke all over it. Needless to say it was a long evening and I counted many stars and satellites.

Morning came and I was ready to go home. Ellie was still not feeling well and I just wanted to get her off the boat. Once we got back she was fine. I don't think that she will be begging to go out fishing again anytime soon but she did have a good time. As always it was great fishing with my dad and it was also nice having my mom there as well this time. Jack was awesome and I can't believe how much better he has gotten. I am so thankful that he enjoys it as much as he does out there! Here are a few picks from our trip!

http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/50]

[img]http://www.allcoast.com/photos/data/500/100542IMG_29814499-med.jpg

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
Great report Jenny.

The pic of Jack "fake peeing" off the stern is a classic. Be sure to save it and show it as part of the slide show you'll have at his college graduation party.:)

Bill

·
Registered
457 Posts
Cool pics and great report. It is so nice to see the kids out there like that. Mine started out having fun but now just get sick and don't want to come with me anymore. Hopefully when they get older.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice report Jenny!

Congrats to Jack on his WSB - that's an awesome picture. Looks like he's a front runner in the BAC kids' tourney at this point. :)

Glad you all had a fun trip. Are you fishing on the SM this weekend? I have you pencilled in on the crew manifest.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Totally awesome! Your kids are super cute! Absolutley the best way to kick off summer. Congrats to your superstar Jack! Have fun fishing on the SM this weekend...it's your turn:) Eventually I'll have to post under my own name but for now this works. Fish on!
Cindy B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.