Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i just bought a kayak and am dying to try it on a kelp bed for some calicos but am just starting out. Any recommendations on easy access beaches or harbors for a beginning kayaker and where in general i should head out? i know no one wnats to give up there honey holes but just in general where to go.

thanks any advice will be greatly appreciated and used

-chris

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Chris,

Were are you coming from. There are quite a few easy beach launch / access points from San Diego to Ventura. King Harbor - Redondo is a safe bet for a harbor launch with easy access to decent halibut grounds and a 1/2 mile paddle to the artificial reef. Let me know where you'r located and I'll recomend a few spots.

Randy

·
Registered
591 Posts
Good easy launching at Baby Beach in Dana Harbor or at Doheny. Also the North Beach parking lot in San Clemente (By The Ole Hanson Beach Club) is an easy paddle to the very productive north reef boilers.
The dog patch area of San O is an easy paddle to the outfall at SONGS which holds a lot of fish.

HF

I never lost a little fish-yes, I am free to say
It always was the biggest fish I caught that got away.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
if you're new to this i'd recommend making sure you're pretty proficient at getting back into the yak in open water. i'm sure dumping in a yak happens to the best of 'em.

that being said, good luck. i'm new to the game too and have only fished harbors so far. i'm looking forward to getting out beyond there in march when i have some more free time.

a place to think about launching might be long beach. LA/LB harbor has some bass in it and also some nice halibut. you could also paddle over to the breakwall and fish bass there. i'm not sure exactly how far the paddle is to the breakwall, but it's a thought. i'm gonna do it as soon as i have time.

Gettin' Ugly
Glendon

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the response.. where can i launch off from redondo to fish the break wall? wahts the best method for catchin calicos and sandies? fish traps or leadhead squid? should i fish near the entrance to open water or near the bait receivers? thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts