Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Stolen Traps!!!

4K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  pierguy 
#1 ·
When I Find The boat that stole my Traps Sat. night By Santa Monica Pier Beware! I know what all 4 boats look like! You think I'm going to drop traps and not notice who's around! Don;t mess with Commercial Traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Thats Not right!!! You have to watch your trap`s thats for sure!!!The first night we went out ,Dropped a set, and was sitting outside of our line here comes a boat cruising around our first two traps looked like he was going to pull our trap!!! I got on the Loud hailer and asked him "What are your intention skipper" cruised over by him and he said he was "looking for his traps" B/S we were thinking !!
sorry you lost your`s , what come`s around goes around!pay back is a BITCH!!!!!

Raz-N-Kane
SeaRay 27
Channel 69& Scan

#3 ·
Are you sure they were stolen, and not just cut? The reason I ask, is in Newport, there are a lot of very pissed off PB'er, cause the Commercial traps are all around the entrance to the point that at night, you can't not hit one, and wrap a prop. More than once, I've heard of guy's going out and simply cutting every line cause they are pissed about the way they are set. Just a thought....PS: I was in Palm Springs this weekend with the family!

#4 ·
>When I Find The boat that stole my Traps Sat. night By Santa
>Monica Pier Beware! I know what all 4 boats look like! You
>think I'm going to drop traps and not notice who's around!
>Don;t mess with Commercial Traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First off... Commercial Traps are illegal in Santa Monica Bay there is no commercial lobster fishing allowed in the bay and traps are illegal for recreational use.

If you a recreational fisherman using a commercial trap you were in violation of the law. A few years back I found a trap there (maybe it was yours)and pulled it and turned it over to the DFG. If you deployed four traps there and I saw it I'd report you, and since the DFG watches that area they may have your traps.

If your a commercial fisherman WTF are you thinking?

You can't trap lobsters without a lobster permit and the few that have them no d@mn well that it's illegal to commercially trap lobsters in the bay.

If you do have your commercial license and you placed traps off the peir you were in clear violation of the law.

The DFG has probably Grabbed your traps, and now you just posted that you broke the law on an open forum for the whole world to see. Not to smart!!!

So if you're a Commercial say goodbye to your lobster permit, and license.

Jim

#5 ·
>Are you sure they were stolen, and not just cut? The reason
>I ask, is in Newport, there are a lot of very pissed off
>PB'er, cause the Commercial traps are all around the entrance
>to the point that at night, you can't not hit one, and wrap a
>prop. More than once, I've heard of guy's going out and simply
>cutting every line cause they are pissed about the way they
>are set. Just a thought....PS: I was in Palm Springs this
>weekend with the family!

Talk about irresponsable behavior.

Cutting lobster float lines on traps is illegal. Tell you friends that are doing it to stop or better yet report them to the authorities.

Traps left without floats can't be retreived. That means that lobsters that go in to them can't get out so they sit in there and starve. Once they die they in turn attract more lobsters who get stuck and die as well.

What I'm saying here is lost traps kill bugs indefinately until they rust out, and a single lost trap can kill thousands of bugs in a year.

Tell that to your freinds who are talking about cutting lobster trap lines.

The way to deal with legal lobster traps is avoid them, not tamper with them.

This of coarse is a mute point with the posters "Commercial Traps" as they were placed illegally.

Jim

#8 ·
Talk about putting your foot in your mouth.

One thing I've always enjoyed about this board, alot of people have been on the water a really loooonnnnggg time. When they speak, they know what they are talking about. If, as described, the traps were placed illegaly, I'm sure DFG would be willing to give them back along with a nice little receipt!

If they were legally placed and stolen, that's sucks. But sounds like they were illegaly set and with the lack of a reply from the original poster, confirms my suspicions.

#11 ·
Yea, I think I know those boats too... those scoundrels....

You should contact vessels owner and lodge a formal complaint. I'm sure he would be interested in your claim and the facts surrounding the event.

Contact the vessels owner here with all relevant facts to your case. I'm sure they'll be happy to help.

cwilson@dfg.ca.gov

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

#13 ·
>When I Find The boat that stole my Traps Sat. night By Santa
>Monica Pier Beware! I know what all 4 boats look like! You
>think I'm going to drop traps and not notice who's around!
>Don;t mess with Commercial Traps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope he thinks his hoop nets are commercial traps. Calling his recreational hoop net a commercial trap might be an innocent mistake. I haven't read too many of his posts but I think he is a recreational fisherman.

Otherwise, this is the biggest fool around......commercial lobster man doesn't have the common sense to know SM bay is off limits....and posts the fact that he is setting traps in a restricted area....and then threatens all boaters who were in the vicinity (innocent or guilty)....priceless

#14 ·
So, was one of the boats a hard bottom inflatable, 20ft or so, dark in color, came in blacked out? And then left the same way?

Hmmm, must have picked up the traps, recorded the numbers on the floats, and then sat down in the office today, verified the information, THE LETTER SHOULD BE IN THE MAIL TOMORROW. Man oh man.

#17 ·
hey, skeemos. skeemos? skeeeemmmmmooooossssss. has skeemos left the building?

lmfao

monty
21' striper
jake's dream

p.s. reminds me of the guy who ran to some street cops to report a theft and it comes up that it was a drug deal gone bad and the idiot wanted the cops to get his dope back.

#18 ·
A diver told me Sunday that he dove the Celest a wreck just off the SM pier Sunday 10/15 and he said he saw three Promar hoopnets down on the wreck with no floats and 100 feet of rope going off into the current the nets had not been down long by the look of it and he left them where they lay.

Are these by chance your nets if so someone cut floats off or you tied them on very poorly.

Don

#19 ·
The next time this happens, or you see the diver, tell him to at least
cut the ropes so we don't have to worry about RED kelp stringers in SMB.

Better yet tell them to bring the hoops up off the bottom.
It makes no sense to leave STUFF like that down there IMO.
Especially if those ropes can become a hazard. x(

John.

#20 ·
That's a great idea. I'm not a diver, but there should be some sort of regulation that allows divers if they see a trap that's impossible to retrieve (pull rope beyond the reach of any gaff, no floats, etc) and or if they see one with a bug or any other living creatures inside them to release them.

I don't think the traps will rust in time before the small things get to escape and ends up dying in them....then it becomes a death trap.

I can see if it's after the lobster season ends, then all traps should be removed off the bottom without harm or foul to anyone. It wasn't going to do anyone any good anyways.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.