Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Water Cloud Boat Sky Watercraft

As for removing billfish from the water: Don’t Do It!
Anglers love hero shots with their fish, especially if it’s their first. Of all the billfish species, sailfish lend themselves particularly well to this type of photo since they’re usually small enough to lift to the side of the boat, are exquisitely colorful, and have that massive sail to open like a giant flag!

But please don’t do it! Removing a billfish, any species, from the water, even for a few moments for a photo, is illegal in Costa Rica and the United States. In addition, studies have shown that by scraping the fish over the gunwale (the upper edge of the side of a boat), the fish’s protective slime layer that acts as a barrier coat against harmful diseases, parasites, and infections is removed, and the action can often harm the internal organs. So even though intentions are to release the fish, its death warrant is signed instead by removing it from the water. (…continued in the Baja Sur Section)

Stripers Dazzle Cabo Anglers

·
Super Moderator
6,982 Posts
I got a 220 fishing on "Blackie" out of Mazatlán. It was a shore excursion from a cruise we were on, and I was the only guy to get anything to the boat. I brought the bill back with me and had it mounted in Phuket.

Got a few to the boat on on the Red Rooster but they were released.

My buddie got a nice one when were were fishing for Tuna in Puerto Vallarta with Danny Gomez. The crew likes to take them because (I assume) they can sell them.

They sure are pretty when they are lit up...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts