All Coast banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so there are a couple days left before the Hoopinâ?? opener and like rigging the decoys for duck season or readying your gear for deer season, this is the week we get the hoops out and make sure things are all in order.

Iâ??ve hooped with 5 of the green hoops for a couple years now. I added a couple more to the pile and figured I would show how I â??improveâ?? the nets with new bridle lines a float and some chain. Being the total cheapskate that I am, I have not purchased those other quality nets and Iâ??ve always modified these. At $10.99 a piece (tackle shop at Rosecrans and the 405) adding some better bridle line, a float and chain at the bottom ring, increases the hardiness of these nets and they have worked well for me.

So hereâ??s what I use; two cheapo hoops, 50 ft. of 3/8 nylon main line, 3 - 6 ft. pieces of ¼ nylon for the bridle, a pool floatie, 2 ½ ft of chain per net and a hand full of zip ties

First I cut off the original bridle lines, they are weak and poor knots are used

Then I cut the new ¼ bridle lies and melt one side of the ends in a point

And the other end as a circle or open

Holding on to the open end, I tie a clove hitch knot on the outer ring
http://momentoffame.com/photopost/d]

Add a Granny knot on top of that
[img]http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/507/medium/PICT0731.JPG

And then feed the long end (pointed side) through the tail (open end) of the knot, this eliminates the lose end and the ability of the knot to untie.

It should end up something like this.

Once all three bridle lines are attached I combine them together into one line by sliding each one into the other

Slide a 6 in piece of pool floatie down the lines. Then tie that into a loop with a simple Granny knot. I add a zip tie on the tag end for good luck

Pull t floatie up over the knot and add a zip tie to that to keep it secure

Put a loop in the main line by feeding the end inside and secure it with a Granny knot to keep it from slipping out. Connect it to the loop in the bridle with a Reef knot

Add the chain to the lower loop with zip ties and you are set

I make bait cages from rabbit fencing and chicken wire and use a spring to keep the door closed to stop the bait thieves. Iâ??ll try to get that toge next.

Good luck out there. Remember, hooping can be a blast but it can be very DANGEROUS!!! Line stuck in your prop when you are only a few yards from the rocks can be big big trouble. Many folks have not figured out to light their floats and it is easy to be in a float of hoops (someone elseâ??s) and find lose line floating all over the place. Keep your anchor handy to toss out and stop you from drifting into the rocks.

ERIK

·
Registered
652 Posts
Nice set-up Erik! And good safety tips especially the anchor as I have heard of people with anchors going on the rocks because they forgot, under pressure, this simple saving solution.

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Excellent post Erik! :7

Thank You for taking the time to put it all together and share with everyone here!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts