Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
We're taking the ol'Binliner up to Tahoe (South Shore-Tahoe Keys) in 2 weeks, does anyone have anything helpful to advise other than the need for downriggers? (I know all the outfits have them). I'm going to fish from our boat, unless I get desperate/skunked/totally depressed by the end of the week, then I'll sign up on a fishing boat for a day. :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Before your fishing trip stop by the local fishing tackle store called the Outdoorsman off the Hwy 50 about 3 miles before the stateline in South Lake Tahoe. They run charters and the salesman/captains are very helpful. It's a one stop tackle store for lake and stream fishing. Co-owner Rick charters a 24' Bayliner Trophy and has helped me over the last 15 years with the proper terminal gear, baiting tips, locations, etc. If you purchase a minnow trap cage you may be able to make some bait at the dock at Tahoe Keys overnight.

Minnows fished from a iron jigs with nasty sharp dual double hook rigs (tip from Rick) for MacKinaw trout in 200-350 ft in front of the Keys, Camp Rich, and Emerald Bay are good areas. Fishing these trout is alot like deep water rockfishing - look for good marks, drop straight down and try to stay directly over the marks bumping your motor in n out of gear or better yet with a trolling motor. If you have spectra it is a BIG advantage.

This time of year the Kokanee salmon may be thick in So Lake Tahoe. Downriggers are key using flashers, snubbers, and red magic lures at 60-120 feet is the norm. The fish move deeper as the water warms throughout the day. 12-15 lb mono with 7 -8' lighht weight bass gear is sufficient. Trolling at 1.0-1.3 mph is all you need.

Fishing for either species you HAVE to be on the water at first light, which is 0430-0445. Look for the charter boats initially to get familiarized with the locations. Most times the hot bite will be over by 8AM but they do still catch but not as well. I'm normally off the water by 9AM, in time for breakfast at home, a little naptime, then back on the Lake with the non-hardcore fishing family members for the late morning cruise around the lake.

I'm taking my family up to So. Lake Tahoe from 8/3 -8/9 and may tow my new/used boat as well. If I can get a buoy at Camp Richardson I'll base there. We have a vacation home in Gardner Mountain across from the Tahoe Keys. Check out my boat pic below and if you see me on the water give me a shout on 72. Enjoy your time on the beautiful Lake Tahoe. Been visiting each summer for the last 15 years and can't get enough of the high altitude paradise :7

Edit:
P.S. - FYI. Lake Tahoe has outlawed older 2 stroke motors on the lake for the last 5 years. If you have 4 stroke, newer DFI O/B or inboard power you should be OK. Not sure what you have for power but wanted to pass this info along. They do enforce the law on the lake and the fine is something like $10k! I used to own a 20' Bayliner Trophy w/2 stroke Mercury for the last 12 years but couldn't run her on the lake :-(

Take Care,
Romme

Rrhookup
Farallon 25 Whaleback "Midori"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Romme,
Thanks for that thorough, comprehensive answer! That was exactly the type of info. I was looking for..the minnow trap cage is definitely on my list..We've got a 350 Chevy gas engine w/a Volvo Penta O/D..We'll give you a holler on 72 if we see you!
Thanks again :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Noelle,

No problem at all.

Have a great time and hope to see you on the water. Either way, post a fish catchin report when you return :)

Rrhookup
Farallon 25 Whaleback "Midori"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts