All Coast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, We're here & all of the tips were helpful, however because I couldn't drag my husband out of bed at 5AM, I bit the bullet & hired Captain Dennis of Eagle Point Fishing for a 5* AM trip. I was the only customer, we left Tahoe Keys at 5AM, and he got me right on the Mackinaw. Lots of fish metered, 5 on the line, lost 3, caught my limit of 2 (one 6 lb, one 3 1/2 or so)on 3lb test at around 130 feet on live minnows. I have to give Captain Dennis a hand, because he sure burned a lot of gas showing me his favorite spots around the lake, especially since I was the only customer. He charged $95.00, and with gas at almost $5.00 /gallon I don't think he made any money off me, so I tipped him really well.
The day before, we hiked up a mile to a small lake above Emerald Bay at Lake Tahoe called Eagle Lake. Since most people don't go past the falls at 1/8th of a mile, we had the lake to ourselves. Doug took photos, I started throwing a lure & caught & released lots of little brookies (I clipped the barbs off a couple of lures to facilitate this). These fish are so colorful & pretty!
Anyways, now that I know where to go & what to do, I hope to drag Doug out one more time in our own boat that we pulled all the way from Costa Mesa to catch some fish!

Trout Almondine for dinner tonight:)

Noelle

·
Registered
335 Posts
Noelle,

Thanks for the update. Dennis is a real good guy and quite the skipper. Glad he got you on some Mackinaw trout. I take it the kokanee salmon aren't in yet? This is typically the bread and butter fish this time of year.

Hopefully I'll tow my boat up tomorrow. Having a weight distribution system installed onto the trailer today and hope to have it complete before our noon departure. How is the weather and lake conditions? Is it the typical zoo atmosphere at Camp Richardson? Are you on a mooring buoy or trailering to the landings? Reports of scattered thunderstorms in the coming weekend but still in the high 70's. Good luck!

Rrhookup
Farallon 25 Whaleback "Midori"

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kokanee are slow, weather scattered clouds, cold AM's but gorgeous low 70's right now.Camp Richardson frightens me.....We're renting a house with a dock in the keys, so the boat's in the h2o in our backyard :) Drive carefully!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The Keys are a great place to stay. Even better when you have a dock to park the boat! Hve fun and be safe on the water.

Rrhookup
Farallon 25 Whaleback "Midori"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts