Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The First Trip was a Good Trip!!!

After a few weeks of planning, drilling, plumbing, grinding and glassing, phase one of the bait tank project on the new boat was nearly complete and it was time for a test run. There was more than bait system stuff to check out; we had a whole boat to put through its paces. For many years I put new boats together and although you expect no major drama, that?s not always the case. I hoped for the best but was prepared for the worst.

As this was kind of a last minute trip, the crew list was changing right up to the time we left the dock and we went light with John Lee from the Crows Nest, Jon Anders from SeaPro and myself able to make the trip. We got rolling about 2:30pm, my first time at the helm of the new rig. Excited?you bet!!! As we went down Newport Harbor, the time was spent firing up the electronics and getting familiar with all the state-of-the-art Furuno equipment. Luckily, I?ve been fishing Furuno for many years so I had some basic knowledge, but I foresee some serious time with the manuals and tech guys to get fully up to speed.

At this time of year, my focus is seabass so we set a course for Catalina. There had been some decent fishing on the bait grounds for both big yellows and seabass and as we needed to get bait on board from one of the squid boats, we headed to the East End to meet our bait connection. My friend and team member Darryl Beard (who had to miss the trip to make his kids graduation) made a call so we had bait waiting for us, a very comforting feeling. The trip across was very pleasant and it was awesome to be on the water again.

Rounding the end of the Island, I noted some pretty tasty looking conditions on a couple of the stock spots but since we didn?t have the bait I wasn?t able to stop?but I took serious notice. Up the back above the V?s, we met the MARY CLAIRE and Daryl tanked us up. While we were getting bait, I watched my friends on the HOOKER get a big yellow and I was marking fish steadily so the anchor went down in 15 fathoms and we got ready to get the first blood on the deck. But it didn?t happen and I couldn?t get the sight of those perfect conditions on the end off my mind so about 7pm it was time for a move and it paid off?big time!!!

We took over the fish from one of my code group and slid in right alongside the HANA PAA. It took a few minutes of high tension before the fish came under the boat and we got busy, but in the interim it was fascinating watching Tom Pfleger, Bill Seiler and the rest of the crew landing seabass, tagging the fish and then sliding those big tankers back to freedom.

Once the fish came under the boat, we had our limits in short order. John Lee settled the jackpot with a true trophy sized fish?my best guess is well over forty pounds. Unfortunately, we?ll never know as a scale was missed in the haste of the last minute preparations, but the picture tells the tale. When we were done I asked the guys on a nearby skiff if they would take the transom shot. Thanks guys?good job!!! We gave then a pass of bait and our spot, I hope they were treated as well as we were.

We headed back up to the squid grounds to set up to catch a big yellow at daylight. The weather was flat calm, a welcome change after a tough winter. The fish were cleaned and bagged, the deck work was done and we enjoyed the first dinner and a cocktail, a fitting end to a nearly perfect day.

The daylight bite didn?t happen and I couldn?t stand sitting still in the fleet past about 8 am. Back around the end, I still had yellowtail on my mind so opted to set up deeper in good current and 65 degree water. The bass and perch were ferocious but no sign of exotics so we kept working up the front. A couple of more stops produced more of the same, including a whopper of a leopard shark for Jon Anders.

With John Lee on deadline to make a flight, we were precluded from waiting out the late afternoon conditions and headed towards home about noon. We had plenty of fish and the memories of a fantastic first trip to bring back with us?I was very happy. There were a few of those new boat gremlins lurking in the background, so I can?t give a full, top end performance report just yet. We?ll get those details handled in the next few days and I?ll get the final data then.

Tiara did a fantastic job with the design of the 3900. The boat is quiet, stable and very easy to fish. With a pair of 600hp Cummins the boat is fast and holds plenty of fuel to get out and about. The bridge layout is comfortable and the Furuno flat screens are easy to see and work Stock equipment even includes an Ipod docking station so I can listen to all my favorite boat songs. The interior accommodations are fantastic?three flat screens and surround sound?air conditioning?a real galley for master chef Jon to do his magic?2008 is going to be great!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the entertaining report. Iv just finished ?In the Grey? and it sounded just like one of those classic stories out of your book. Way to go, keep it up.

This post edited by Cleeperjr 06/16/2008

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I had NO doubt you would christen the new Pacific Edge properly. I am very bummed I missed my chance to be a part of the festivities. I'm guessing that right about the time you guys were hooking those fish I was sprinting through DFW airport sweating like a madman trying to make the last LA connection - work sucks!!

Great job Mark. Glad you got John L on some big ones and glad that Anders was there with you like the good old days for you two.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words. I hope to be out again this weekend if we can get some new boat drama sorted out.

And Jenny...as to a fish-off...sounds like fun but you and Ali are sooo competitive and I hate to see girls cry...:)

Mark

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to all for the kind words. I hope to be out again this weekend if we can get some new boat drama sorted out.

And Jenny...as to a fish-off...sounds like fun but you and Ali are sooo competitive and I hate to see girls cry...:)

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.