All Coast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The newly created Dana Harbor Commission, another quality County of Orange staff that is overseeing the "revitalization" of Dana Point Harbor, has announced its intention to cleanse the harbor of 22' and 24' slips. Nearly 400 slips will be eliminated this way, creating more parking for THE MALL. Less slips = less parking required for slip renters = more parking for THE MALL shoppers. Simple. Mansionization of a harbor. Socio-economic cleansing. If you are a small-boat owner, you are no longer entitled to rent a slip. You may be able to rent a day slip, or guest slip. But unless you want to pony up for one of the few 25' or larger slips, you is outta here. Sayonara. Come back when you have a real boat. Note: The "Dana Point Harbor Department" does not intend to keep people effectively advised of its plans. They could put updates in monthly bill along with their cheery "special event" promotion inserts. "Dear small-boater, happy holidays!! Come on down and see santa kiss a whale at the new Dana Point harbor mall, and by the way, kiss yer slip goodbye. " a synopsis from the Dana Point Revitalization Boaters website: >

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Another sign of the times David.
It's all about the almighty dollar, money money money money money money!
The same thing is going on up in Marina Del Rey.

Thank you for continuing to keep us updated here!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just received the following e-mail (the current plan is getting worse and worse.... the DPHP may eliminate all boat slips under 30' from Dana Point Harbor. Weeding out the riff-raff. Only rich folk need apply for slips in this public resource from now on ;-)

- - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Dear Boater â?? The Dana Point Harbor Department has been updating our Harbor Revitalization web site, www.DPHPlan.com. The process has been a little more complex than we originally anticipated, so I apologize for the delay in providing access to our new and improved site.

We are pleased to announce that the new site is up and running. On the new site you will find the presentations for the four Boater Meetings held to date, as well as, the survey from the first workshop. You may print the survey, fill it out and return it to DPHD via mail, fax or in person. If you completed a survey at a previous meeting, there is no need to take the survey again. Only one survey will be accepted per boater / boat slip.

Also, we have reviewed all of the responses to the email sent last week regarding the start of the meeting. 42 respondents prefer the 7:00pm start time, 29 respondents prefer 5:30pm, and a few more responded that either time works for them. Since the majority prefer the 7:00pm start time, we will be making that adjustment beginning with the next meeting on January 9, 2007.

Please be sure to make a note that beginning January 9, 2007, all boater workshops will begin at 7:00pm. The location will remain the same.

Thank you,

George Caravalho, Director
Dana Point Harbor Department "

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
If you go visit the "West Marine" in the harbor in Dana, you will notice that there are NO Marine parts, just clothes, hat's and deck shoes. Pretty good indication of what is happening down there!

·
Registered
652 Posts
>Eliminating slips just seems like bad business for the City
>given slips are such a scarce commodity.

While "eliminating" is accurate, it is even more accurate that the term is "replacing". They are not loosing sqr footage but rather replacing the small slips with larger ones due to the thinking that the wait is so long for large slips as opposed to smaller slips.

Not taken into account is that smaller boats are turned over quicker and can make the transfer from small slip to trailer easily and dependent on the new owner.
Also they think that because they sent out a flyer that asked if current boaters were ever thinking of going larger (of course we all answered "yes, we would like a larger boat someday" now they think they can use this as an excuse to prepare for all of our great successes. Just 'cause we all want larger boats does not mean we will get them. Gas prices are already making a reality check with boaters across the country looking at downsizing. Plus why would they not simply replace "some" of the small slips with larger slips? Why remove ALL of the smaller slips. This plan is crap and is obviously fraught with obvious errors, poor planning, and may very well be rooted in corrupt motives rather than supporting the needs of the boating community.

I don't like the idea that public comment is saved for the final stages of the development. That pretty much just means they have to hear our comments but it will be too late for any changes based on such comments.

How many of the planning committee members are boaters? Answer is none.

We should probably be contacting the Coastal Commission to have them do a better job of reviewing the plans and how they impact actually boating community

I was ready to get a slip just last week but "liners" are not allowed in our harbor. I'm not keen on bottom paint plus twice monthly cleanings as the liner would have solved that problem. For now I will keep my boat in the front yard, much to the displeasure of my neighbors. Here's a picture of my son sticking his tongue out at me, but just as well it could be at the planning commission and harbor master for not allowing liners like they do in San Diego, but that's another rant for another day....

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Be happy and lucky you can still legally keep your boat in your driveway.
A lot of people including me are being forced to put our boats
in storage due to the various city REGS, errrrrrrrrrr BS.

Antenna up = listening to the VHF in YOUR SLIP aka YOUR driveway. :eek:

John.

·
Registered
652 Posts
>Be happy and lucky you can still legally keep your boat in
>your driveway.
>A lot of people including me are being forced to put our
>boats
>in storage due to the various city REGS, errrrrrrrrrr BS.
>
>Antenna up = listening to the VHF in YOUR SLIP aka YOUR
>driveway. :eek:
>
>John.

I know I am lucky (now) to be able to keep it at home. I doubt it will last forever and I am not sure that the proposed dry storage racks will support those of us with hard tops.

Notice the lack of trailer tongue? That's lots of fun to take on and off so the trailer actually fits in my drive...my backs been really killin' me from that.

But yes I understand that many places are no longer allowing boats stored at your home. That is also a sign of the future and is Dana Point Harbor taking that into account? I'm really concerned that their plan lacks any real thought about the future and the needs of boaters. The plan looks like more like an opportunity to get more retail in the Harbor. Oh and big boats. Boooo on those that say this plan is for the betterment of the current and future boating community.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts