Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Gang this is going to be a long one! (for me):)

The Good:
Fished the 2008 Grand Slam tourney put on by the Pacific Corinthian Yacht Club, it was a two day event targeting white seabass, calico bass, and halibut. You could go for the grand slam, or just fish a division.
We usually just concentrate on calicos. This years team was myself, my tourney partner Matt and our good buddy Captain Steve Grenias. Saturday was rough out there so we opted to stay on the coast fishing the stones off Port Hueneme, we managed a 4.6 calico for day one (not good enough) Sunday we were blessed to have great weather and made the run to Santa Cruz Island for an awesome day of calico fishing! We had somewhere between 80-90 fish for the three of us with bulk of the fish going 3-5 1/2 lbs with a big fish of 6.4lbs plus a 15lb seabass that Steve caught on the Hammer. We headed in hoping our calico would be the winning fish in the bass division (usually a 6-7lb fish wins) and weighed our schoolie seabass just for kicks (35-50lb fish normally takes it) Well, team Liberty shocked everybody with a legit 10lb calico!! But wasn?t in the $400.00 side bet, we were! :) And as for our little seabass?..It ended up being the big fish in that division!! Unfortunately we didn?t bother paying into the seabass side bets, as we always stick to the bass,
But between our side bet calico money and our seabass money we walked away with $1542.00!!

Special props to Captain Steve as he saved our butts by letting us use his boat the ?Farmers Daughter ?for the tourney (I will explain in the Bad) I will have to go on record saying that his18ft Crestliner rocks! It handled our channel very well!!

The Bad:
Over the Memorial day weekend my outboard started to run like crap! I barely made it through my charters Saturday and Monday. I took the boat in hoping it just needed a tune up, the week before the tourney only to find that is done, one of my cylinders is very damaged! Rest in peace old friend :( I must say despite the bad rep the Evinrude Fichts have my motor was a awesome motor it died with just under 1500hrs on it with 51% percent at idle, not bad for a two stroke

The Ugly:
THE COST OF A NEW OUTBOARD!!!!! [email protected]

A new 350hp 4 stroke Yammy is on the way!! :p?.Captain Larry

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Larry, I would say you went full circle on that one, the good, the bad, the ugly, and back to good again (a 350 HP motor, daymn!). Nice win!

Heymon

PS I think anytime you can get on the Farmer's Daughter it's "bad" (as in good). Next time, maybe you could expand that into a whole other chapter...;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Im glad the Farmer's Daughter was satisfactory, here is the pics. Thanks Cap!

This is the 6lber bass I got that Larry culled out with his 6.4

Me with the 14# WSB, Matt, and Larry with his 6.4 Calico, and The Daughter in the background at the scales

·
Registered
458 Posts
good going on the checkerboards larry- i also know your pain with your lost of the outboard- had to re-power mine this last year, But glad i did with the gas situation. went from a older 2-stroke Merc to a the new 4-stroke yamaha. its all good. take care larry!

Troyboy

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey!

Sounds like great trip and good job on the bass. When ever you play a slot machine always play the max bet because you never know when you might hit a jack pot. As far as the engine I would rather row my boat than power it with Johnsttuck or Evanscrewed. I was stranded on numerous ocassion by these inferior pieces of junk engines in more ways than one and the goes for alot of others I know as well!

I would rather trust a drunk Mexican Police officer before a Johnstuck or Evanscrewed engine! Your going to love the new Yamaha it's a tip top product. Honda and Suzuki are great products too as the last thing you ever need to worry about on the water is your engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.