Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time I get this wonderful idea in my head of how to fill my spare time, will somebody please smack the chit out of me?

Anyway, I've been concentrating on the engine, generator, batteries, and fuel tanks (and replacing teak screw-plugs on the deck to break up the aggravation):

Fuel tanks - one is garbage and will be replaced this winter. the other is "ok" and has had the interior epoxied to remain "ok" for at least another 5-8 years. I'll also be setting a dual fuel filter system so one filter can remain operational while the other one is being changed. The original Raycor is in great shape and I'll just get another one and set up a valve system.

Batteries - 1 - 8D for the main engine, 4 - T125s for the house, and a type-24 for the generator are on the way. A new TrueCharge 40AMP onboard charger will be installed with the new batteries. The rebuilt alternator will be receiving an isolator to monitor each bank. the wood "flooring" under teh batteries has been replaced. (why didn't the new floor fit when I used the old floor as a pattern?)

Engine - LMAO!!!! Isuzu made about a half-dozen different models for these trawlers and parts are NOT interchangeable. Without the original paperwork, identifying the specific model is.....educational? Finding WHERE the ID number is located on the block, only narrows the search. After almost 30 years of exposure to bilge-chit, those numbers (once found) are almost as discernable as the filed down serial numbers on an assasins "weapon-of-choice" taht was dropped in the ocean decades ago. Two pairs of eyes, and using drop-lights and flashlights from four different directions got our number id'ing close enough to finally be able to order parts from Isuzu.
All the bolt-on stuff is being replaced or rebuilt. The aforementioned alternator, solenoids, both water pumps, misc broken fittings. The exhaust riser/knuckle will be custom made from SS as Isuzus' must be made from a combination of gold/titanium/platinum based on their asking price.
Gary, the mechanic, says that when the parts come in and the exhaust knuckle is made, I (and the boat) will me ready to GO!

Generator:
YanMar generator motor runs great. Only problem here is that the generator itself didn't put out any electricity. So, that's out getting rebuilt. sigh...........
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When Gary comes back to put the engine back together, he'll also be replacing wire connectors, control cables, and electrical junction blocks under the deck.

I'll be replacing all the bilge pumps and will be utilizing both types of activators - conventional floats and the newer model sensor-type that Frank has installed on the Valkyrie.

Both heads will then be looked at. The forward head has a vac-u-flush that needs to be made operable. (maybe just a switch?) The aft head is currently a macerator and I'm leaning towards changing it to a newer vac-u-flush?

Each shower has always just drained into its own bilge compartment and drained out via its own Rule-type bilge pump. These will both be given "shower sumps" instead of the current set-up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't had a lot of time (due to work) to actually dedicate a concentrated effort on the below-decks renovation. But I've set aside a 10-day run starting next saturday to get all of these items going and hopefully completed. (The whaler will probably get some exercise during those 10 days, also. :))

If anyone has suggestions, tips, etc on any of the above items, PLEASE contribute. I've received a lot of advice and suggestions privately from many of you and your contributions are fully appreciated. It's then up to me to put all of your suggestions together and figure out what will work best in my specific situation, timing, abilities, and laundered cash.

PS: C-4 is NOT a suggestion. It might eventually be a 'reality'; but not a current 'suggestion'.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Bill, Daunting project indeed....put the C4 Down!:7 Ok, since I have a trawler, I can't help myself, since I've been there, done that! The experts on this board will offer more indepth responses with more specificity, but here goes...

Bilge pumps, Make sure you also install a Bilge cycle counter in your saloon, where most people can see it. Additionally, add a bilge light at your helm stations so you can see when and how often a bilge cycles, and lastly, and most important, a high water alarm connected to your Aqualarm school bell.

Make sure your Bilge is well lit with DC lights, I used Fog lights from Kragen Auto. I also have an AC light.

Batteries: It's extremely helpful to buy a digital house bank monitor to install in your saloon so you always know your state of charge on the house, thus use your generator less.

Shower Sumps, you will install 2 new thru hulls above the water line right? Is it possible to T these off into one sump? Where does your galley sink drain, seperate thru hull? Head sink drain's have their own thru hull's or can you tie these into the floor drains, and then the sump's?

Aft head macerated? As long as it works, personally, I would move this project closer to the back of the bus and focus on the bigger issues at hand. We are just completing our conversion, but have had all the bigger projects done prior.

Next haul out, I would highly reccomend a thruster, with a single screw, and getting on a mooring, or slip, you get one shot, and if the wind is snort'in, it could be an expensive mistake!

Glad you got the ID for that Izuzu, make sure you order an engine manual now!

Generator not putting out electricity, did you trace from the Shore/Generator switch all the way back to the windings? There may have been a simple fault along the way, or even the switch itself.

Sounds like your are putting some dedicated time into getting her going, have you moved it north yet? Bill

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>Bill, Daunting project indeed....put the C4 Down!:7 Ok, >since I have a trawler, I can't help myself, since I've been >there, done that! The experts on this board will offer more >indepth responses with more specificity, but here goes... Experts? I learned that just when you consider yourself an "expert", you either make a silly mistake or someone better comes along. I'm just looking for first-hand experiences and applications. >Bilge pumps, Make sure you also install a Bilge cycle counter >in your saloon, where most people can see it. Additionally, >add a bilge light at your helm stations so you can see when >and how often a bilge cycles, and lastly, and most important, >a high water alarm connected to your Aqualarm school bell. I think that some of the newer models have the cycle light thingy. But I'll make a note of this. >Make sure your Bilge is well lit with DC lights, I used Fog >lights from Kragen Auto. I also have an AC light. I hate dark places. Especially in an emergency. OPERABLE bilge/engine room lights are on the list. >Batteries: It's extremely helpful to buy a digital house bank >monitor to install in your saloon so you always know your >state of charge on the house, thus use your generator less. The new isolator on the alternator will have a gauge on the dash for this purpose. $400 installed. whew! >Shower Sumps, you will install 2 new thru hulls above the >water line right? Is it possible to T these off into one >sump? Where does your galley sink drain, seperate thru hull? >Head sink drain's have their own thru hull's or can you tie >these into the floor drains, and then the sump's? I'll be investigating and tracing down drain lines. edit: the sink used to drain onto the fuel tank; that's why that tank is now garbage. x( >Aft head macerated? As long as it works, personally, I would >move this project closer to the back of the bus and focus on >the bigger issues at hand. We are just completing our >conversion, but have had all the bigger projects done prior. Maybe I'll just have it serviced and let it go at that? >Next haul out, I would highly reccomend a thruster, with a >single screw, and getting on a mooring, or slip, you get one >shot, and if the wind is snort'in, it could be an expensive >mistake! $10-$20K for a bow thruster? I HAVE been reading about those stern thrusters.... >Glad you got the ID for that Izuzu, make sure you order an >engine manual now! Good suggestion >Generator not putting out electricity, did you trace from the >Shore/Generator switch all the way back to the windings? >There may have been a simple fault along the way, or even the >switch itself. The mechanic is a boat electrician before he became an engine mechanic. He simply unplugged the generator from the system and stuck his prober into the plug. No juice coming out. >Sounds like your are putting some dedicated time into getting >her going, have you moved it north yet? Bill The move north will come after everything under the decks is operational, one head works, the first phase of my electronics is completed and a 3-4 hour sea-trial in SMB. A June move to CI is realistic...at this point in time. I may even make it a 2-day event for a crew of 4: MDR to Anacapa for a BBQ, spend the night on the anchor, and a morning of fishing for? Then on to channel islands marina, rent a car, and drive back to MDR for vehicles.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Cool Deal Wils, you can make pancakes for us lil guys in
the morning, LOL

Pretty aggressive schedule, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frank,
Expect me at your next meeting. My relocation plans hadn't firmed up until just a couple of weeks ago. Any chance that you can send me some info on CG/Power Squadron classes? As I mentioned above, this is my first boat past fishing/skiing/sailing boats to 32'. There is a heck of a lot more education that I'll be needing.

PS: I already have a slip at Vintage Marina. That's why the immediate need to push this project to basic "seaworthy". Paying for 2 slips is cutting into Kittys supply of tuna.

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
>Cool Deal Wils, you can make pancakes for us lil guys in
>the morning, LOL

It would be my pleasure, Badger. Would you like a great big raspberry with yours? LOL backatcha!

>Pretty aggressive schedule, sounds good to me.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
>If I was a rich guy, I'd have 3 kids. :p

Then you wouldn't be a rich guy anymore.
Jimbo can eat bunches of pancakes...are you sure your galley can handle it?

Dave
My Three Sons

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
It'll all be worth it when you're sitting on anchor in Chinese with a hold full of Seabass and Halibut.

Bill

·
Registered
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>>If I was a rich guy, I'd have 3 kids. :p
>
>Then you wouldn't be a rich guy anymore.

same thing with owning boats?

>Jimbo can eat bunches of pancakes...are you sure your galley
>can handle it?

One thing about pancakes: if you're going to go to the mess of making ONE, you may as well make a BUNCH of them. Throw the extras in the freezer and pop them in the toaster for snacks.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts
Here's your radar.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Furuno-1731-Mark-2-Radar-Dome-and-Cable-boat-marine_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ31276QQitemZ4637464828QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
I'd be honored.

You'll dig it having the Channel Islands as your home base Wils.

We can't compete with "down south" in the pelagics department, but IMHO fishing the Channel Islands for the other nine months out of the year is the best game in town. Nothing cooler than dropping the hook in an anchorage like Willows or Cochise after a day of fishing Cruz or Rosa. Go out during the middle of the week in the fall or winter and you'll think you are in a bygone day where islands really were places of seclusion. Don't get me wrong, Catalina most definitely has its rewards, but for the "get away from it all" factor, the Islands can't be beat.

A campfire on an island beach with a bunch of friends is its own reward. Like I said, you're gonna dig it.

Bill

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I agree with Bill...it's a great cruising ground, great fishing, always new adventures, and some of the prettiest anchorages in the state. Pulling into an anchorage after a long day, cocktailing and barbequing...way nice.
Get your trawler up and running for the summer...it has to come to the Campopartyfishorama...

Dave
My Three Sons

1 - 17 of 17 Posts