Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the new battery shelf awaiting new batteries (and primer & paint and battery boxes/hold down straps):

And the reason new batteries are required. The old charger did not have an automatic charge output. The output had to be set manually and the previous owner neglected that minor detail like he neglected so many others. A new TrueCharge 40AMP is waiting to be installed to handle the new D8 (cranker), 4-T125s (house), and a Group 24 (generator):

Speaking of the generator - the YanMar is a separate motor/generator unit - instead of bo in one integral unit. The generator (missing in the middle os the picture) is turned via a belt from the motor (on the left). Good thing, too, as the motor half runs GREAT but the generator half put out nada. It was a simple 5 minute process to pull out the generator and send it to get rebuilt:

A NEW PART GETS INSTALLED!!!!!!!YEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW
(yes, the generator mounting platform WILL be moved so this part wont hit the deck joists again....and break again.)

Why was the bilge pump originally installed a bit higher than the float lever in that red basket? This is the bilge area where the forward shower drained into.

h]

The vac-u-flush needs a little attention, also. things like proper wiring and hold down screws are.....where? That's the battery shelf in the background

[img]http://www.allcoastsportfishing.com/photos/data/500/107406DSC00094-med.JPG

And of course. the heart of this lady. Notice the ISUZU missing a few "accessories". They are all in hand and waiting for her new custom-made stainless steal exhaust knuckle to be finished for final assembly:

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: Trawler update 5/20 part dos

is it just my computer or are the pictures gone?
why are there little boxes with red X's in both posts?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts

Those old Lewco chargers were one of the main causes for boat fires. If you put the control higher than #3, the auto function turns off and the charge doesn't taper off. My neighbor blew the top of his bats off last winter for that reason. Even on the right setting, the charger never turns all the way off.

·
Registered
17,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The batteries that are coming out are only 2-3 years old. The batteries are fried due to loss of fluid from continuous charging and no battery maintenance. When I found out about the old charger, it became a no-brainer to change it out for a modern one. There's a "contingency fund" in the renovation budget for this stuff.

·
Registered
5,533 Posts

Reeldreamer, You are right about the #3 setting, I have the Lewco 40 and the 4,5,6 settings are full charge and no smart charging. When at the island, I go down and switch to 5 and just run lot's of lights at night, then when back at the slip, turn back to 2. Kind of a pain, but the system works. Do you have any idea why Lewco did not make the last three settings include the smart charging function?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts