All Coast banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Definitely have to consider "the source" on this one (PETA)...Be that as it may, it is no secret that tuna is a major source of heavy metal, specifically Mercury. I have a few friends that are heavy consumers of tuna, and have their levels checked, and they have been VERY high. They stopped eating it, and their levels dropped...definitely a little worrisome. The real question from a medical standpoint, is whether or not the levels were clinically relevant, in that they had no symptoms of "mercury poisoning"...having said that, it couldn't be good...having said THAT, is it any worse than the rest of the CRAP that is in our environment, that ultimately ends up in our bodies: crap in the air, crap in the water, crap in our food (hormones, antibiotics, heavy metals, PCBS, so on and so forth)...one of the most potent carcinogens out there (aflatoxins), is found on the mold in peanuts...
So, you really can't get away from it...I think the key is to avoid overdoing anything, stick with organic foods, and trust your body's ability to cope with toxins in our environment...

Parting shot: how bad for you is the stress from worrying about all of the crap...that couldn't be good for you either...

Andale

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent points Greg. I add; So much run-off during major storms/rains that no doubt it brings a massive amount of contaminants that enter into the food chain. Smaller might be better in this case. I would love a 15-ft bluefin on the end of my line and I promise to release should this ever come my way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hooking up to a MONSTER BFT, now THAT would be bad for you...we got into a several hour wide open 150# BFT bite on the Topgun a couple of years ago...I'm still feeling the pain from that one!

Andale

·
Registered
463 Posts
For all the effort and money I've put into finding tuna the last couple of years, I guess it's a good thing I suck at tuna fishing. My minimal catch has certainly kept me toxic free. But, as terrible at finding tuna as I may be, I still can't stop thinking that there is still another day to make a run this year, and skyrocketing mercury levels or not, if there is a break in the weather in the next week or so, I'm fishing for those toxic tuna. LOL.

Jeremy
24' Radon - 'Jenna J'

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There ya go Jeremy! Your Tenacity will prevail. Happy Thanksgiving. Now a wide open stop like Greg is talkin on 150-lb bft is to die for, mercury or not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts