Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an article from the San Diego paper today, UNION-TRIBUNE June 18, 2008 "Albacore bit as close as 63 miles and bluefin were reported at 40 miles as the fishing season appears ready to go for sport fleet and private boaters. The Pacific Voyager, with Captain Mark Oronoz, checked in with 15 albacore from its two-day trip, with the fish landed Monday, the second day of the voyage. The fish mostly weighed between 15 and 18 pounds, with a 28-pounder topping the haul. John Yamate of Seaforth Sportfishing said the Pacific Voyager was at 63 miles when it found the fish. Anglers caught some fish trolling and some on bait stops. ?Mark said there were perfect conditions, with the water at 63.5 degrees,? Yamate said. The Legend, out of Seaforth Sportfishing, had one albacore Sunday. The Apollo, out of Fisherman's Landing, also had a lone albacore. The Grande, on a two-day trip out of Point Loma Sportfishing, reported albacore Monday and yesterday. Sabrina Bartley of Point Loma Sportfishing said the Grande had one albacore yesterday after getting seven on Monday. The boat was 63 miles from San Diego. None of the sport boats reported bluefin, but private boat reports indicate bluefin as close as 40 miles and even albacore at 51 miles. Mike Gauger at Seaforth heard from a private boater who landed longfins at the 390 Bank, approximately 51 miles from Mission Bay. All of the landings have boats ready to go if the fishing turns on. ?It's hard to schedule trips because we just end up canceling them until someone really puts up a score,? Yamate said." ? ED ZIERALSKI

This post edited by ONO MAGIC 06/18/2008

·
Registered
10,119 Posts
I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but ...
15 fish for a 2 day trip?
11 fish on a 3 day trip of one of the long range boats- that is 11 fish total!
I need a little more than that to get my blood pumping. I sure hope it happens soon.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
wahoodad said:
I am optimistic, as the Indy reported a fairly good day yesterday, and we are on a full moon tonight. Stuff moves on full moons.
Hoodad we have 10 days to go before our trip and a new moon...should be just about right for the 8 day.. What do you think???

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/18/2008

·
Registered
70 Posts
Are the Royal Star and Red Rooster "code boats"? We leave two days after you on an 8 day. It would be nice to know what you are doing. Good luck David Jeff Cox says hi

This post edited by markmayo 06/19/2008

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
markmayo said:
Are the Royal Star and Red Rooster "code boats"? We leave two days after you on an 8 day. It would be nice to know what you are doing. Good luck David Jeff Cox says hi

Is the Royal Star a "code boat"?!

BBWWWAAAAAAHHHHAAAAHHHAAAHHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Oh man, thanks! I needed that! 8):tu:

FISH HARD!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
fishybuzz said:
wahoodad said:
I am optimistic, as the Indy reported a fairly good day yesterday, and we are on a full moon tonight. Stuff moves on full moons.

Hoodad we have 10 days to go before our trip and a new moon...should be just about right for the 8 day..

What do you think???
Judging by the number of LR boats leaving the last five days there's going to be a better chance at having a much better idea about where these schools are coming soon! :p
xman99 said:
According to the fish count in today's Union Tribune one of the Seaforth 3/4 day boats had 1 albacore.
But as that was the 6 pack El Gato Dos, so they were not fishing in the 3/4 day fleet's normal fishing grounds, as they have a much faster speed and shorter time to get to much farther out in that time frame.

·
Registered
861 Posts
So here we are...it's late June and the water is starting to get into the 60's. Some tuna sign is showing. Conditions should begin to improve in the next couple of weeks. With more boats working the water, chances of finding larger concentrations of fish improve.

As a fisherman, I am a natural optimist but as we all know, the only thing that remains constant is the conditions are always changing. For all who are going on trips soon, go get em. I'm hoping to see your smiling mugs in Western Outdoor News standing next to a big bluefin and a pile of albacore!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.