Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

Tuna in the channel?

753 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  SmellyJelly 
#1 ·
I talked to a friend who's a newby at fishing. When asked about his day, either yesterday or the day earlier, about yellows and dodos, he said it was "tuna" he saw everyone catching--he blanked. I questioned this and he was a tad miffed. He said it was either yellowfin or albacore (lol!). I told him they are at opposite ends of the spectrum for water temps. I then suggested it was bonito. OK, what is the truth? He was on a 150 from Newport and he said about 10 miles out (sounds like bonies to me).

[link:fish.shimano.com/|Shimano_Fishing]
[link:www.swimbait.com/|Big_Hammer_Swimbaits/Hammerhead_Jigheads]
[link:www.pro-cure.com/|Pro-Cure_Bait_Scents]

#5 ·
An angler on the Pursuit hooked a 'big something' off a paddy near the east end and was on the fish for around 50 mins. Some were thinking mola or shark but sure enough within twenty feet from gaff those w/ appropriate eyewear could make out the yellow finlets followed by a big yellow crescent. The fish then proceded to turn sideways and bite the angler off in deep color (20lb BG). It was an estimated 65 pound Yellowfin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.