Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a trip booked for a three day on the Searcher and I can't wait. The days couldn't be going by slower! Other than that I have a story I wrote for you guys:
The Tuna
Well it had been a long day and the captain decided to move to a different spot after not having much success. We were catching a fish here and there but not enough or the right size to keep the captain happy. We were catching little 20 – 25 pound Bluefin tunas and 9 – 15 pound “rat” yellowtails. The Captain wanted to get us into the larger models of the Bluefin so we headed off to a spot that he knew had produced some good size tunas. We arrived sometime in the afternoon and the deck hands tossed out some chum while the fishermen tossed their live sardines out. I butt hooked a sardine and casted him out. As soon as he hit the water I knew he was a good bait. One or two people had hooked up but there had been a lull for about 10 minutes. When all of a sudden I hear the beautiful words “hook up!!!!” being yelled by an angler at the bow. While looking at the newly hooked up angler I made an observation that everyone that had a fish was hooked up at deep soak (they had their baits in the water for a long time). So I waited… and waited… and waited. When I finally made it to the end of the rod rack when all of a sudden my reel starts to absolutely scream! I counted to 3 and put my reel into gear while holding my rod tip up and I was hooked up! I screamed the musical words “Fresh one!” and all around the boat other anglers yelled it to the captain. I lifted my rod up to try and slow the initial run of the fish but it didn’t do too much. While fighting my rod suddenly lost its bend and I realized the fish was swimming towards me and I started reeling like I’ve never reeled before. By this time the deck hand had been instructing me on when to take line and when to lift my rod up. The deck hand was constantly hounding me to reel and he would say “I know you’re tired but neither I nor the fish care” and this helped me greatly. It also got quite a bit of smiles after the trip while I was retelling the story. Then out of nowhere, while I was fighting my fish there was a tangle on my line and the deckhand was there removing the other lines and while he looked away I took a break. When he turned around he saw me and said “Chris, did you stop reeling?” and the quickly motivated me to start reeling. It was quite the fight and the fish took me past the anchor 2 or 3 times. I was able to bring the fish up so the deck hand could gaff the fish. It was a 50 – 55 pound Bluefin tuna. A new record! I was on top off the world! My father and uncle who had been fishing for many more years than me had never caught a fish this big! It was the fish of a lifetime for me! Even though it wasn’t some 300 pound cow it was absolutely awesome. It was the last fish I caught that trip and it was soooo worth it.
-Chris “Tuna Slayer” Murphy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anticipation

Like you I to have a 2 1/2 day trip coming up that I booked early. To say that I am waiting with great anticipation doesn't say it. I am aboard the Pacific Star early August. So from one in waiting to another Good Luck.

Bayrunner16

1 - 4 of 4 Posts