Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, my name is Zack Crehan I am 20 years old and live in southern California. I was introduced to this type of fishing by my father John Crehan who some of you may remember from fall long range trips, usually on the Royal Star. My Dad passed away June 29th 2005 after complications from a liver transplant. Before he passed on he took me on several great fishing trips and made sure that I was firmly... hooked as they say.

Now even the cost of a five day is quite high for me, but the ever rising gas prices have me on this trip because I want to do it while I still have the opportunity to just get on one of these boats. I'm looking forward to pulling on some nice YT again and hopefully get into a nice Albie bite.

This trip on the Shogun(6/25-6/30) will be my first trip over 2 days since my father passed on and I could use a bit of guidance. Now I know I can use the search function and I actually have among conducting my own research but I'd like to introduce myself anyways and you guys seem friendly enough... :p

My biggest question at this point is about the spectra, this is a new development to me. I have read about the advantages and disadvantages of spectra and my question is; For the late June trip would you go with the spectra backing? If so, size of top shot?

Oh and my second question will be, what knots should I be learning right now. I know the SDknot, Palomar, uni, dropshots, the basics.

Thats about it so far, I will be bringing a buddy with limited experience but we are practicing casting and going over the protocols everyday so I think we will be as ready as we can be.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Zack,
Sorry to hear about your father.

Maybe you have good tackle from your father. I know that using equipment from my late grandfather is always fun.

There are people that are a lot more experienced than me on this board, so I am sure you will get some excellent advice.

I think that spectra is great and I would say you want to use that. Typically, people are now using much smaller line capacity reels with spectra, to the extent that drag capacity suits the line test you want to fish.

What are make and models of the reels you are considering putting spectra on?

I am using use 100 ft top shots on my bait setups. I can cut some off many times and not have to worry about tying a new spectra-to-mono connection.

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
Zack, Its getting pricey for those of the other side of 20 too. I use specta on most of my reels, but it is not a requirement. One advantage of it is that you don't have to replace a full reel of mono each time you change line. But its pricey to start filling up all your reels with spectra, which it sounds like is an expense you don't need right now. I'd consider filling up a BAIT reel that you expect to use a lot on the trip, and see how you like it before converting a lot of reels. Use one size greater than the maximum mono size that you expect to need--so if you will use to to 40# mono on a reel, back it with 50# spectra. Leave room for up to about a 75 foot topshot of mono--that will be plenty, yet leave the option to fish shorter if you want. As for brands of spectra, there are a lot. I like Jerry Brown, or maybe Izor, but there are others that also will do the job. In up to about 50-60 line, I like attaching the spectra to the mono using a back to back uni--quick, works well, and you already know how to tie it. As for knots, you have the basics covered. Maybe just a knot for heavy line, 80# plus. I like the improved trilene, but that's just a matter of opinion. Or if you use the boat's troller, you don't even need that.

This post edited by Brad_G 06/15/2008

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.