Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seemed like too cheap of a deal to pass up. It's a USB GPS that plugs into your notebook--you still need some kind of mapping software to use it.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...ite=USB-UG-200

Use code FATWALLET to get 10% off

·
Registered
36 Posts
It doesn't look like USB unless you have an adapter. Looks like a PCMCIA connection. Problem would be the antenna. Hooked to a laptop it would have to see the sky. Find a gps with antenna extension so it can go out the window of whatever your in.I use a crux 2 that has a 6 ft antenna. Use it on boat and car frequently with Maptech and Nobletec nav programs.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you were looking at, but it is USB. It just arrived today. It's USB on one end, and an antenna on the other end.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works fine. I haven't got any chart plotter software installed yet, but using street software it worked great. Locked up pretty fast and has a magnet in the base of the antenna.

·
Registered
80 Posts
where would you get the software for this w/ SoCal charts? Looks like a good backup system since a laptop can run on it's own for a few hours

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought it would work with bluechart, but it doesn't. I have some software from maptech, but I think it's just the charts (you need software + charts I believe). You can get contour as well as charts which might be cool. I'm going to have to start looking at options.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Offshore Navigator from Maptech allows real-time gps. Freeboating charts from their site then allows the region 12 chart download. Saves buying the chart disc. The contour series is expensive and in my opinion is more of a novelty than worthwhile tool. There are freeware marine nav programs, SeaView is one, that says the BSB/Kap chart file can be used. My knowledge wasn't enough to get them to work together. A computer savvy person could likely get them to work together. Good luck

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just downloaded a trial program from FishInSight that has gps interface. Then got ENC data from NOAA charts for our region and a viewer, all free. FishInSight imports a tiff file direct from the viewer. Then you must coordinate the chart with 3 lat lon points and it is ready for use with gps. Cumbersome but the charts are vector so they can be manipulated for different features. Maptech charts are all raster so they can't be changed. I think Nobeltech can import ENC charts. ENC charts get updated frequently.The fishing program has a 30 day free trial period.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I couldn't find a SeaView, but I did find a SeaClear--is that what you meant? I was able to get it working with the USB GPS. It was pretty easy to load in the free maptech charts as well.

Not bad for free!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts