All Coast banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Employess of Embarcadero Marina were passing out info sheets over the weekend to users of the launchramp.

Starting in "mid-September" (this could be by Monday, 9/11) there will be phased in work on the launch ramp.

The first phase appears to affect the entire PWC launch area and maybe 1-3 lanes of launching on the west side of the floating loading dock nearest the PWC area. Phase two will affect the rest of the launch ramp lanes, the other floating loading dock and the washdown racks.

When prodded, the E. employee told me that, at times (probably phase two), there will be as few as THREE LANES AVAILABLE FOR LAUNCHING. Be forewarned.

The only specifics on the work involved is that there will be a new trench with filtration for the washdown area and the installation of ADA compliant floating docks. Both would be welcome, IMO, as the docks are in disrepair and the harbor is a continuing source of pollution for Doheny State Beach. Not the only source, mind you, but a cleaner harbor cant hurt. Also, it appears that a large section of the car parking, typically used for Catalina bound passengers and special event parking, will be taken up by the storage of heavy equipment used in the reconstruction. There is no mention of any work being done on the surface of the ramp itself.

There is no specific timetable listed for the completion of the individual phases but the entire project is expected to be completed by "Summer 2007".

That's the summary of the handbill.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The guy at the gate told me they were also going to change the angle of the docs for easier approach....not sure if that is necessary, but that is what he said.

MIke

Edit..sorry typos

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
I remember when MDR went through an upgrade/revamp a few years back.
They did it in either 3 or 4 phases leaving 60% to 70% of the ramp open at all times.
MDR is considerably bigger than Dana Point.
Different counties probably do things differently.
Hopefully, there's not too much of an inconvenience for the PB'ers?
I could absolutely care less about a PWC!

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
745 Posts
The only problem with loosing the PWC area is that they WILL create problems blocking up the other launch lanes. Dana has more than it's share of PWC's due to the short run out of the harbor. The Dana facillity already sucks IMO. This should be a real mess. No wonder I love MDR.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just used the term PWC as a geographical reference point for where the work would take place. Most of us regulars know the area designated for them. I have no opinion of them, otherwise.

But peashooter's point is well taken. They WILL impact the rest of us when we get down to only three lanes.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Busted out complete by next Summer? I hope so but have never seen a project like this happen so fast.

They need to put up signs to educate people on how to properly use a ramp. Too many boneheads that sit there doing their set-ups half way in the water or leaving their boats at the dock for way too much time.

I know I am a little slow as I solo launch most of the time. But it's amazing that I can pull up, launch, park the trailer and be heading to the bait barge while there are still the same people fiddlin around thinking about, or doing who knows what rather than getting their boats in the water and allowing others to launch.

I don't think these people know that they are in other peoples way so maybe some rules/suggestions posted would be better for us all...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Be aware that the redevelopement plan calls for LESS trailer boat parking and as many as 540 less slips for boats under 30' length in the harbor.

That equals a lot less boating opportunities for the people of california.

25% less families get to have slips? Yep.

More parking for the retailers? 35,000 more feet of retail. Yep.

Hello Irvine Spectrum... goodbye Dana Point small boat harbor.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you point to where you read that there is a reduction in the number of boat parking spaces at DPH under the revit plan?

·
Registered
71 Posts
The slip reconfigurations have not been established yet, but the verbage from the county so far leads to a conclusion that they probably wont change too much in terms of size; just shuffling of guest docks etc. No doubt a percentage of slips will get bigger but not radical.( look at the record so far on landside improvements..all reductions...no drystacks, no new hoist crane..."we want to preserve the view easements and keep small harbor feel" )

A first year architect student could double the retail enviroment and still make the place look fantastic. The current layout is pathetic, IMO the worst use of dirt in Socal.
As for the ramp, I sure hope they do it right.They seem to be diddling around with little things here and there lately, new grass etc. Scrape it and start over. Last time I checked it wasnt '71 anymore.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Multi story parking etc..

Here is a good place to see the plans. Just click through on the next links at the bottom of each page:

http://www.dphplan.com/nl_2_summer.htm

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't think that's the kind of info they wanted to trumpet. At the last meeting at the Youth and Group center (2 weeks ago), I was directed to a gentleman at a table who was tasked to explain the ramp and trailer facilities project. I asked him directly if the current redesign, taking into account the new parking structure, would result in any change in the number of trailer parking facilities. He said there would be a net loss in parking available to trailer boaters. As there will also be as many as 542 less slips in the harbor, which means that at .8 per slip, 433 parking spaces adjacent to the east cove docks will disappear. It also means 542 families boaters will no longer have slips in Dana Point. With Orange County growing, one would think that more, not less slips and trailer opportunities would be the better use of a limited harbor. One can voice ones opinion about the Dana Point Harbor redevelopment plan at the Dana Point City Council meeting Wednesday, September 13, at 6pm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
"One can voice ones opinion about the Dana Point Harbor redevelopment plan at the Dana Point City Council meeting Wednesday, September 13, at 6pm."

Where do these meetings take place? Sounds like I'll have to show up for this one. It was all sounding too good to be true.

·
Registered
194 Posts
found it for any of you interested
The regular meeting of the City Council is a vital part of the democratic process in the conduct of the City's affairs. It is at Council meetings that laws, policies and basic decisions are made for the government of Dana Point. All meetings of the City Council are open to the public and citizens are encouraged to attend to learn more about how the City operates. City Council meetings are held in the Council Chamber, City Hall, 33282 Golden Lantern, Dana Point, CA 92629, at 6:00 p.m., on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month. Special meetings are called as necessary by the Mayor, or by a majority of Council Members, and noticed at least 24 hours in advance

·
Registered
71 Posts
Talking to the embarcadero guys yesterday, He says they are going to start really soon on the ramp.1/2 of the lot will be fenced off for equipment and they are going to re do the ramp in 2 stages. he said they are going to use a "copper damn" (never heard of the term?) and drain the water and actually change the grade of the ramp. I had heard about this a few years ago but never got details.All of their wet slips will be toast. As far as other radical changes it looks like its going to be a really looooooong process. they want to modify the area where the shipyard is but he has 6 years on his lease left??? It will be a sticky winter down there for sure. I can just see the lobster opener now!!!!!!! Maybe it will be like the colliseum in the old days going to SC games. Pay a guy $20 to park on his front lawn!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
He said they got to move the slips closest to the gate and thus move all the sailboats and other stuff to the far slips so there wont be any to rent. Not sure about long term. Or if they are going to extend the ramp to the wall. That would change the embarcadero area for sure. Nobody seems to know the exact process. The artists renderings are a long way off.

·
Registered
8,345 Posts
Gone forever...

Their thinking is boats 30' and are trailable, hence have more options. They revamp the space to make larger and fewer slips.

Considering they are also looking at reducing storage space as well, it sounds like total B.S.

BTW, this same trend is happening throughout the Long Beach harbor system. I think councilmen are twisted and only looking at revenues to justify higher pension plans vs actually serving the public.

Just my 2 cents...

Cheers, Bill

â??If your not part of the solution... you're part of the problem"

·
Registered
307 Posts
COFFER DAM. Basically, the make a wall of dirt and rocks around the area of consctruction, then pump the water out. When the harbor is "revitalized" the harbor will be coffer damned, roughly a third at a time. The county sent out notices this week to the slip renters of Dana Point: Boater Kick-off meeting to provide informational update for revitalization plan. Tuesday, September 26, 2006. 5:30 to 7:00 pm Ocean Institute in Dana Point Harbor Know this: The current design will realign the bottom of Golden Lantern right through the middle of the existing trailer parking lot. Thus, the trailer parking will be substantially reduced. The parking will be given to the new 35000 square feet of shopping mall which will be built where the east basin boaters now park. (An unloading zone for boaters will have to suffice for your gear, ice, food, then go park in SanJuan and shuttle back to your boat). Know also that the some Dana Point City Council people that approved the plan last week think the wet-slipped boats in Dana Harbor ought to truck their boats somewhere inland for repairs and maintenance so as to allow more non-boating usage of the harbor. LOL. And that boats currently dry-stored ought to be moved inland, as well (they made mention of "the 30 acres" along the sanjuan creek where ford is storing new inventory). So, the harbor will become a strip mall. 3 stories high (2 stories and a loft) complete with elevators. 2 level parking structures, engineered for a 3rd level. If the boating groups do not get organized and speak up, they will be sorely surprised by the counties shift to retail focus, and reduction in boating opportunities for the future. Remember, the county literature states: we "can remove up to 545 slips". They do not say "we will remove as few as possible to accomodate changes in code." They are looking to eliminate sub-30' slips, relegating them to the storage barn. Barn boaters can launch, boat, and store. No more quick after work trips to the barber poles... no more making bait the night before. Use the boat/park the boat in the barn. Every slip gone equals more parking spaces for the new strip mall.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I actually think it is a three sided coin.
1) retail redevelopment and reconfiguration. I am all for it. Basically the existing use of space is poor in my opinion and could be dramatically improved

2) trailer boat/ ramp facilities. This is what worries me the most especially since I,m in the category. I cant get a clear picture of what they are really going to do. The ultimate plans that have been kicked around have good concepts but are they going thru with it. A new dry stack system...nipped in the bud, a two story parking lot... no clear plans as to how it would squeez the lot. A new entrance for the ramp area and new exit...love to see how they could do it but no plans show anything that could be done in the next five years????

3) the slips. I dont think reconfiguration is a big deal. It would be cool to have the guest docks down by the entrance area it makes a lot of sence. And the upsizing of slips is exagerated, look at Redondo rejecting a higher ratio of bigger slips eventhough there is no waiting list for small slips; like Dana. I dont think they will change it drastically, just my opinion. Remember it is a county facility, city of Dana Point has nothing to do with slips. They just want more bodies shopping up on PCH/ Del Prado which will be reverted back to two way street in the future so they are hip on pushing the harbor plan.

Botton line........prices for everything will probably go up

1 - 20 of 20 Posts