Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday 6-1-08 was the annual CIYC Ladies fishing tourney, we had 22 ladies on 4 boats compete! The tourney was won by Georgie Olsen on the Pacific Player with a 19.9 lb Halibut caught on the back side of Anacapa Island, Second was a Calico bass caught by Lenore Linman on the Dawn Patrol and third was won by Phyllis Lucas on the Valkyrie with a Scorpion fish.

The Valkyrie started the day at 6 am when we picked up our team at the YC docks. I had 2 guys from the CG Station as my crew, Joe Fitzgerald and Kevin Brown I figured the ladies would enjoy the younger guys, they are both avid fishermen who loved having the opportunity to help coach the ladies and they have fished with me often.

We had 5 ladies on board, only a couple of them were regular fishers and one, Susie Warden, had never fished before. By the end of the day they were asking if we could have the tourney 2x a year because they had so much fun.

As we left the Channel Islands Harbor there was some residual lump from the previous days winds so I headed toward the east end of Anacapa to provide a more pleasant ride across the channel. The crossing became smoother as we progressed. When we reached the back side of the Island it was like a lake with little wind and no seas.

I stopped on a couple of meter marks for no bites then put in the waypoints for a couple of spots that always produce for me. First drift, Barbara Brauns caught the first fish, a nice Boccaccio.

The second fish caught was a much larger Boccaccio by Susie Warden this was her first fish ever and she was ecstatic. I think we have created another fisherwoman!

Joe and Kevin worked hard on the aft deck helping them bait the hooks and removing the hooked fish. I don?t know how many times I heard them telling the ladies to ?lift the tip of the poll and wind down as you drop it again?.

We were picking up mostly Boccaccio and a couple of Reds and everyone had caught at least one fish so we decided to leave the endangered Boccaccio so we didn?t deplete the stock ?yea right as if?. We had picked up some nice Macks while on the drifts so we thought we would try for some Lings and maybe do a couple of Halibut drifts at Smugglers on Santa Cruz Island.

We stopped on a couple of likely Ling spots in the gap for no luck. When we got to Smugglers the Dawn Patrol was already there, so far they had only pulled on a big Mud marlin. We setup and soon had a real nice 2.4lb scorpion fish hooked up and landed by Phyllis Lucas. Phyllis is an experienced fisher and needed little help but I noticed that she was more than willing to let the guys remove the poisonous spined fish from her hook. This fish eventually took 3rd place in the tourney.

The bite died right after the catch so we worked our way back across the gap stopping on promising spots without any luck, eventually returning to Anacapa and trying the earlier spots, but by now the wind was against a strong current and the ladies couldn?t keep the bait in the zone, so we moved inside close to the Island. We had no more luck and soon headed back in with a happy crew and some recruits to the fishing community.

There was a formal weigh-in at the Club with a Taco Bar and plenty of folks to cheer on the constants. Everyone who participated had a great time. My thanks to the Captains of the Dawn Patrol, Pacific Player and My Blue Heaven for providing the opportunity for all these ladies to compete. Special thanks to Kevin and Joe my crew who did a stellar job keeping the ladies happy.

Attachments

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice job Frank....the ride over is always nicer heading to the east end of Anacapa. Looks like your bait held up well (Hooks or Cisco?) Glad you're feeling better and providing the ride for the ladies deserves a "cudo"!!!!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mike. I understand that Hooks bait facility is still not in service . The bait was Cisco's Small but lively anchovies. Let me know when your going out again we'll see if we can buddy boat. I was thinking of going for T-shark soon.

This post edited by oden1viking 06/03/2008

·
Registered
542 Posts
I noticed your down rigger mounts...do you use them while fishing for Threshers? I have two electric Scotty's (still need to hook up power plugs) and was thinking I'd pack 'em away since there will be no salmon (for awhile). That sounds like fun...if this wind will stop blowing we'll plan a trip.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Squibblips said:
I noticed your down rigger mounts...do you use them while fishing for Threshers? I have two electric Scotty's (still need to hook up power plugs) and was thinking I'd pack 'em away since there will be no salmon (for awhile). That sounds like fun...if this wind will stop blowing we'll plan a trip.
I have used them for both salmon and t's. They are Manual Canons sometimes I think they are more trouble than they are worth!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Come to think of it, you guys had a pretty nice lineup of boats out there! I'd say you spoiled the girls!!! I left my downrigger mounts on the old boat when I sold it, so I now have rod holder mounts so I can move them around as needed. Do you run yours out the back (stern) or off the side(s)? Didn't know how I was going to use them for salmon anyway as I can only slow down to 3.5 knots with one engine (4.5 @ 650 rpm with both)...too fast for salmon...maybe OK for Threshers (?)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Squibblips said:
Come to think of it, you guys had a pretty nice lineup of boats out there! I'd say you spoiled the girls!!! I left my downrigger mounts on the old boat when I sold it, so I now have rod holder mounts so I can move them around as needed. Do you run yours out the back (stern) or off the side(s)? Didn't know how I was going to use them for salmon anyway as I can only slow down to 3.5 knots with one engine (4.5 @ 650 rpm with both)...too fast for salmon...maybe OK for Threshers (?)
I've run them both ways I like runnuing them off to the side @ about 45% with extensions on the booms. I had the same problem with speed on te salmon so I used a drogue chute to slow it down. I was able to get down to about 2 kt on one engine with the chute.

This post edited by oden1viking 06/03/2008

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Great report, Frank, except for this "I figured the ladies would enjoy the younger guys" Us seasoned experienced guys aren't washed up yet!!! Glad to see back doing what you do best, helping folks enjoy themselves with your generosity of spirit :tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.