All Coast banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fullerton home boat builder's craft goes aground
Tom Dale, who spent 27 years constructing a 28-foot sailboat in his back yard, crashed into a sandbar on the way up to Morro Bay.

Read the article this morning, and wondered Why He'd make plans to take a maiden voyage "up" the coast and shoot for Morro Bay.

I've heard, (and seen plenty of pics) of folks trying to get into morro in the rough

How anyone could be so utterly clueless, as to make a maiden voyage planning to Go North, and past point conception boggles the brain
perhaps He's lucky He didn't make it into Ventura Harbor

BTW thats the second Blow boater I've seen Beach a Boat trying for Ventura Harbor......... Couldn't of asked for better visibility

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/homepage/abox/article_1258607.php

·
Registered
6,893 Posts
..and a 45 footer caught fire and sank off Palos Verdes.

From the local news:

RANCHO PALOS VERDES, Calif. -- Flames engulfed and then sank a 45-foot cabin cruiser called the Lady Hawk on Friday two miles off the coast of Rancho Palos Verdes, near the Point Vincente Lighthouse.

Los Angeles County firefighters were called to the scene about 10 a.m., said Inspector Sam Padilla of the Los Angeles County Fire Department.

The sole occupant, identified by the Coast Guard as John Hockenil, jumped from the vessel when the flames broke out and was picked up by another boater, Hockenil said.

He was not injured.

The Coast Guard reported that the fire began in the engine compartment.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
>Read the article this morning, and wondered Why He'd make
>plans to take a maiden voyage "up" the coast and shoot for
>Morro Bay.

I guess you didn't read hard enough. He's moved to Morrow bay that's why he was moving the boat up there.

What a sad story.

Grounding is the most common way to loose a sailboat. Professional sailers, Transpac and Circumnavigation racers have all lost boats to grounding.

I remember a few years ago the Transpac winner lost thier keel entering a local well charted harbor entrance in Hawaii after just winning the most prestigious race in the Pacific.

It's easy to suggest that others are idiots when things happen to them, but sometimes #### happens.

The boat that ran aground is not some peice of junk thrown together out of trash and plywood. It's a gaff rigged ketch built of steam bent planks.

The owner Tom Dale is evidently a big fan of traditional wooden boats and his lifes dream was to build a classic Gaff rigged Galway Hooker design built using traditional methods.

Man I feel sorry for him. It took him over a third of his life to build the thing and he lost it within a month of putting it in the water.

Designers and wood boat builders are usually very good sailers. It takes more then just looking at plans to build a traditional wood boat, not to mention you have to be a very experianced sailor even to handle a Gaff Rig which is far much more complex then your average tupperware sloop.

Since his mate William Mitchell was a profesional Boatbuilder as well I doubt on the water experiance was an issue in this case.

I really feel for this guy. Hopefully he'll be able to salvage the rig.

Here's a few pics of Tom and his rig:

Jim

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>Designers and wood boat builders are usually very good
sailers. It takes more then just looking at plans to build a
traditional wood boat, not to mention you have to be a very
experianced sailor even to handle a Gaff Rig which is by far
much more complex then your average tupperware sloop.

>Since his mate William Mitchell was a profesional Boatbuilder
>as well I doubt on the water experiance was an issue in this
>case.

Designers and wood boat builders are usually very good sailers

"usually" being the key Word there Jim? I read that the professional Boat Builder Mate was 26 years old

I guess the concept "Red Right Return" slipped their Minds

At mule speed (midnight under clear skies) you'd think an Experienced Sailor, in flat seas with a 26 year old professional boat Builder for a Mate, woulld have the eyes, and the skills to pilot a Boat into the Harbor entrance instead of onto the beach,

Had he "tacked" into the jetty I might understand

If this skipper were the Navy He'd be stripped of His command
you know........................... like Danny Bonaducci

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Jim,

Are the pics you posted the boat that sank?

A ketch, as I recall, is a two masted sailboat with the aft mast forward of the rudder post. A Yawl is a two masted sailboat with the aft mat aft of the rudder post. The pic is of a single masted gaff rig.

As for Yo's negative comments, monday morning QBs will always be just that.

Having started, and completed, a wood boat from scratch - I can feel the pain he must have today. That's a real big piece of his life. Does anyone know if it is salvagable?

JB

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
>A ketch, as I recall, is a two masted sailboat with the aft
>mast forward of the rudder post. A Yawl is a two masted
>sailboat with the aft mat aft of the rudder post. The pic is
>of a single masted gaff rig.

Your absolutely right. I read the boat was a Ketch but it looks like it's a single masted Gaff. I've gotten into discussions of Ketchs and Yawls a million times because I used to own an Atkins Yawl. I must be slipping...LOL I should noticed it right off.

Classic example of where you write the post first then find pics after the fact :)

Jim

·
Registered
593 Posts
Holy $#!+,

Our office sold this gentleman's house in Raymond Hills last year and I remember the boat being in the backyard and the thing about wanting to sail up to Morro Bay. How they got the boat out of the small backyard, over the house, and onto a trailer was a modern marvel in itself. I also remember hearing about his wife and friends pushing him to get out there and sail while he still could before his medical issues would prevent him from ever realizing his dream. Damn shame it had to end this way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts