Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
Who are these Mensa rejects? What kinda nut would sleep aboard a drifting boat w/o a lookout? I've never seen such a thing, even way offshore outside the shipping lanes.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
don't be silly...it's done all the time...you set your alarms on a pair of radars and then either jog or drift...i really don't see the point of looking at a blank screen all night.. .everyone does it...durring albacore season it's pretty common to have a dozen or more boats drifting at night..most of the jig boats are a single crew operation...that's just the way it's allways been done,no big deal.

This post edited by TAURUS 06/17/2008

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
re: I don't rely completely on electronics for my personal safety

"Apparently one of us is an idiot Taurus."

maybe...but all i know is that one of us lives in the real world of practicality...the other is an armchair quarterback

·
Registered
92 Posts

I fished albacore, bait and jig for ten years. Bait fishing we had a watch at night. Bigger crew. Jig fishing, two guys, so shut down and sleep. Strobe lights were still legal then. Not too many Coast guard boats seen where we were fishing. Not in Southern California.
Now I'm sailing alone, no way for me to stay awake 24 hours a day, I set a kitchen timer every 20 minutes, I'm up, looking, radar alarm is on but I woke up a couple of times with targets inside the zone, so I don't rely on that anymore.
That's reality.
Red.

·
Registered
92 Posts

A couple of other notes on this.
I am licenced, 5th issue, and Able Bodied Seaman, unlimited,STCW. Underway I have legal lights on, I tend to reduce sail or take it down, never sleep while under power, I just shut down. When I anchor out, I have legal mast light on with a couple of other solar lights as well. All chain rode and I sleep fairly well. I am amazed that many people don't have ANY lights on in some of the anchorages I entered on the way from Los Angeles to La Paz this fall. Lots of pangas racing around in the dark with NO lights, so I like to be well lit up.
Red.

·
Banned
11,019 Posts
TAURUS said:
don't be silly...it's done all the time...you set your alarms on a pair of radars and then either jog or drift...i really don't see the point of looking at a blank screen all night.. .everyone does it...durring albacore season it's pretty common to have a dozen or more boats drifting at night..most of the jig boats are a single crew operation...that's just the way it's allways been done,no big deal.
Ahhhhh you beat me to it. I'm not old school but offshore on my skiff alone I somtimes deploy the chute and take a short nap during the day, but I first put out a dead dine on the flyline with the clicker on. I call it the Blue Shark Alarm Clock....LOL

This post edited by Jim Day 06/18/2008

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
two radars...one set for distance(looking for big stuff), the other set for close in(looking for tuperware rag boats without radar reflectors)...a kitchen timer, and a gallon of water....

check your radar and gauges, set your kitchen timer for whatever the conditions allow, then drink a buttload of water....wake up by nature or timer and do it all over again.

commercial fishing alone or with single crew ain't exactly rocket science...it just takes nerve and knowledge...very few understand what it takes and even fewer possess it.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
It's just two different worlds. A commercial fishing for a living (and having to fish alone or with one crew to make it economically viable) has little choice but to sleep while drifting or on the chute (at least on what little I understand about it). It is just the reality of that line of work.

As a private boater fishing as a hobby, I would struggle to do that. I've got one radar and, while I feel quite comfortable I know how to use it reasonably well, I don't have the confidence a commercial pro has. And, for offshore trips I always have crew and there's no reason we can't set a watch 24 hours for our relatively short trips. The only solo fishing I do is at or around the islands and I anchor when necessary (and still really struggle to sleep unless conditions are really good). But, that second night on anchor...I will sleep some just out of fatigue.

The realities of a commercial and a private boater differ in a big way when it comes to this stuff. It would feel nuts to me to sleep on a drift or on the auto pilot at night. I'm not qualified. And I don't need to do it. But I understand why it is done by a professional making a living. Just another of the many risks of that line of work.

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
I guess I hadn't considered the implication of "commercial fishermen" but it certainly makes sense. The commercial guys may find sleep unworthy of a $6500.00 citation though. That's an expensive nap. As a rec guy I have often volunteered for graveyard shift driving and/or watches while everyone else sleeps. Maybe it's a control issue but I tend to take safety to the ninth degree.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
guess who's the idiot

"The Coast Guard has become aware that some fishermen engage in the practice of working all day and, then in the evening, allowing their vessels to drift while the entire crew sleeps."

bruce, what part of that opening paragraph did you think refered to recreational fishermen?...it's plain to see, even by an idiot, that the coasties were refering to commercial 'working' fishermen.. my guess is, i'm not the idiot here.

this is one of those laws that they throw at you AFTER an accident at sea...it's about as enforcable as a 'no dreaming while sleeping' law....

·
Registered
10,241 Posts
re: guess who's the idiot

When I owned a boat I often worked the kelps offshore. When I go long range fishing the crew works while I sleep. Fishing (all fishing) can be work. It does not specifically state "commercial fishing vessels" because it doesn't preclude other non-commercial vessels.

·
Banned
2,434 Posts

HD said:
When I owned a boat I often worked the kelps offshore. When I go long range fishing the crew works while I sleep. Fishing (all fishing) can be work. It does not specifically state "commercial fishing vessels" because it doesn't preclude other non-commercial vessels.[/quo

huh?...your dog doesn't hunt...

·
Banned
11,019 Posts

TAURUS said:
HD said:
When I owned a boat I often worked the kelps offshore. When I go long range fishing the crew works while I sleep. Fishing (all fishing) can be work. It does not specifically state "commercial fishing vessels" because it doesn't preclude other non-commercial vessels.
huh?...your dog doesn't hunt...
I don't think the rec vrs commercial demarcation matters. Anyone who has ever sailed solo any distance knows that you have to sleep on the boat. What... Do you think circumnavigators never sleep....LOL For that matter: right now Roz Savage is trying to row across the Pacific solo. She left Presidio Yacht Club in Marin County on May 26 2008 and right now is directly off So Cal at: N 32,56.5 W 123,25.0 Roughly 200 miles west of Clemente. Hope she took a tuna rod she's probably right in the thick of them. Her 23 ft rowboat has no radar, or radar alarms and she sleeps between rowing seasons. Since the Coast guard is aware of her presence and progress I gather they think this is no big deal. She's also kind of cute:
Her second attempt for the Pacific, and she's already having trouble with her water maker so I doubt she'll make it this time. Still she has a well made boat, (carbon fiber) and has done the Atlantic so you can't write her off just yet. Jim

This post edited by Jim Day 06/18/2008

·
Registered
3,940 Posts

Dang, she is a cutie, got a radio or sat phone number I can try and get a date while shes delirious in the hot day sun.

Best wishes for her of course all joking aside.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.