Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WAs wondering what model# is the 7 foot 40lb rod he put his name to. and how you like it, I have been using a calstar 700H and a calstar765XL but I wanted to get a new stick for the summer.
WAs also wanting to get the blank only and have someone wrap it.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
I was talking with John at the Seeker booth at the L.B. Fred a couple of years ago and asked him about it. He sadi that so much of what we do is with 40 lb, they asked him which was his favorite.

I have one that I got from willy. It's not the Black Steel blank but the Blue EX model made with S Glass instead of E Glass. It was the model prior to the newest ones the brown Super Seekers.

Anyway, I like the heck out of it and have used it with 40 lb to catch a number of 30-35 lb Yellowfin as well as Albacore, and Yellowtail, too. I like the versatility of it and will use it with both 40 lb and 30 lb. I'm looking forward to pairing it with a TLD15 and 30 lb for biat fishing for Wahoo this fall. Hope we get 'em.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
I have a couple of both the 765xl's and the Grabowski specials they are excellent 40# rods....I like the EX6470 when I need to cast a little further....I had willy make me one a couple of years ago after fishing with one on a 8 day with Joe Phister from seeker he let me fish with his and I just had to have one...which is now two cause you can't have just one of anything...LOL... you can't go wrong

This post edited by fishybuzz 05/22/2008

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I have both the 700h and the 6470. I like both. The 6470 is definitely not nearly as stiff. If the fish are on the small to medium size, you will love the 6470. 700H definitely has much more backbone.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The Seeker rod number you are looking for is the 6470. However, as others have noted Seeker makes the 6470 in a number of models. John's name is on various 6470 models. I've attended a couple of his seminars and the one he recommends as a 40 lb rod is the Black Steel 6470 model. The Super Seeker 6470 John Grabowski Special is more of a 50 lb rod. Go with the Black Steel and I think you will get what you asked for.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a Seeker Black Steel rod 6470-7' (blank #CJBF70) It is a great rod for heavy 30# or light 40# line applications. This rod handles 30#-40# yellowtail and tuna with no problems. Light enough tip to toss and feel live bait, but enough backbone to handle a heavy fish.
For heavier applications I recommend the Calstar GF700H This rod is better suited for heavy 40# or 50# line applications. This is a reat rod also, and can handle heavier fish, but still casts well and has a light enough tip to feel live bait.
Get em both!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.