Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gang,

Just picked up the 2006 Saltwater fish regs, and thought I'd pass along some facts, before the opener on Wendsday.

1. The rockfish depth for March, April, May, and June is 180ft to 360ft.

2. The depth then changes from 0 to 240ft, from July 1st to Sept. 31st.

3. Rockfish season closes Oct. 1st 2006 to March 1st 2007.

Good Luck Everybody, and enjoy the 7 month rockfish season while we still can.

Rick/Tugfire

26ft Glacier Bay Cat

G

·
There have been some changes since the booklet was printed.

Summary of Regulation Changes

Effective Date: March 1, 2006

In-season CA Scorpionfish Season Change; Previous Depth Limit Changes Reviewed

The recreational fishing season for California scorpionfish (sculpin) will open on March 1, 2006 to boat-based anglers south of Point Conception. The fishery is open only in state waters (generally from 0 to 3 nautical miles offshore). Shore-based anglers and divers are unaffected by this regulation change and may continue to fish for California scorpionfish year-round.

In-season regulation changes since Jan. 1, 2006 supersede some groundfish regulations printed in the 2006 California Ocean Sport Fishing Regulations booklet. The following summary is provided to help anglers understand and comply with the most current ocean sport fishing regulations:

Morro Bay South-Central Management Area (near Lopez Point, Monterey County to Point Conception, Santa Barbara County)

Rockfish, cabezon, greenlings, lingcod, and other federal groundfish and associated state-managed species: Open May 1 through September 30 in waters less than 240 feet (40 fathoms) deep for boat-based anglers.
Southern Management Area (Point Conception, Santa Barbara County to U.S.-Mexico border)

Rockfish, cabezon, other federal groundfish (except California scorpionfish and lingcod; see below) and California sheephead and other associated state-managed species: Open March 1 through August 31 in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep; and September 1 through September 30 in all waters less than 180 feet (30 fathoms) deep for boat-based anglers.

California scorpionfish: Open March 1 through August 31 only in state waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep; September 1 through September 30 only in state waters less than 180 feet (30 fathoms) deep for boat-based anglers.

Lingcod: Open April 1 through August 31 in all waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep; September 1 through September 30 in all waters less than 180 feet (30 fathoms) deep for boat-based anglers.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
What stinks about the regs is that if you have rockfish on board you'd better not be sitting in water less than 180ft to go after other fishies.......no chasing seabass, yellows, calicos.....be careful.

On a another note, my buds got stung at SB Island last year with their SINKERS were in 190' BUT because of the drift their boat was marked at 150' by the patrol/dfg.

The 3 got fined $75.00 each.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
"What stinks about the regs is that if you have rockfish on board you'd better not be sitting in water less than 180ft to go after other fishies.......no chasing seabass, yellows, calicos.....be careful."

This isnâ??t true. This law was reversed last year as far as I know.

Oh on another note, I spoke to Ed Roberts at the DFG and he was saying we could see the season stay open up unitl December 31 south of Conception. He said that change if/when it happens would be annouced later in the season. Cross our fingers as that time of year has the best weather imo.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
RE: CCA and Rockfish Aboard

SBI is smack dab in the middle of the the federal Cow Cod Area (CCA). There you cannot fish deeper than 120 ft. for rockfish. If you have rockfish aboard and are fishing other species in water deeper than 120', you are violating the CCA rules. $75 fine is cheap - DFG told me the fines are much higher. The Cortes, Tanner, San Nick, Secret Spot and the 43 Fathom Spot are all in the CCA. Know the rules. Outside the CCA you can fish other species with rockfish aboard as long as you are not fishing deeper than 360 ft., and then later in the year 180'.

Fish the Tides - Freddie

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
RE: CCA and Rockfish Aboard

He is talking shallower here I think Freddie. So if you have rockfish aboard you can fish shallower if you choose than 120', 360, or 180' depending on when and where you are at. In addition to what Freddie said about the CCA and fishing deeper than 120' for other species with rockfish aboard is a no no.

Watch the regs.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
So let me get this straight.

We can fish for cods and run back in to fish the shallow stuff. I guess im behind with the regs ? hmmmm , good to hear. Im glad I was wrong. I guess I didnt look under the supplemental, extra bonus regs. What a crock.

As far as the SB situation with my buds, I may have the depths incorrect as they fish the island a lot and knew exactly what depth they can fish. The problem occured because if they fished in the water where their sinker lay they would have been ok. The problem was when the officer cited them their boat being in the incorrect legal depth because of a little drift.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Just to confirm I did ask Ed Roberts at the DFG. Same rules apply when fishing 120'(CCA) or 180' Here is the email back from him:

Hello Tim,

Rockfish may only be taken or possessed in waters less than 360 feet (60 fathoms) deep from March 1 through August 31; yes, you can fish for other species shallower than 360 ft once rockfish are aboard, but cannot fish deeper than 360 ft for other species once rockfish are aboard.

Best Regards,

Ed Roberts

Edgar W. Roberts III
Marine Biologist
California Department of Fish and Game
619 Second Street
Eureka, CA 95501
707.441.5757 Office
707.445.7883 Fax
707.290.5336 Cell
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks TJ !

Wow, Tim

Thanks for obtaining the confirmation from the officer. I'd better save this copy on the boat.

Brian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts