Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lucked onto a great video yesterday. My wife and I went out to eat at Sonny's BBQ (remember we live in a VERY small rural town)last Sunday. We knew the lady at the next table because she owns the farm just down the road from ours. Anyway, I was telling my wife how I was enjoying Allcoast and that I was going to try a LR trip for Tuna. The neighbor hears me and says she didn't know I was a fisherman. Turns out her husband (who passed away about 6 years ago) was also a fisherman. He had left some fishing videos and she said if I was interested she would give them to me. Naturally, I said yes Ma'am. Well, yesterday her barn manager stops by and leaves 6 videos. One was about Kite fishing for Sailfish off Miami, one was about Tarpon fishing, 3 were about Bass fishing, and the last one was about LR Tuna fishing out of San Diego. What a great video. It is an old video (copyright about 1980) called "The Ultimate Challenge" and I'm sure y'all have seen it 100 times but it's brand new to me. It is about the Royal Polaris and 11 to 15 day trips South below Cabo. On the trip they filmed there must have been a couple dozen 200# Tuna. Lots of big Wahoo also. I can't imagine the same quality and numbers of fish today almost 30 years later. On the video most of the reels were Senators and Internationals. I didn't see much in the way of 2 speed reels. Were there any 2 speeds 30 years ago? There was one fellow on the video that broke a rod during the fight. In another part of the video someone apparently gets spooled. No problemo.... they simply clip another line to one of the harness lugs and let the whole first rod and reel go in the water and fight the fish on the second outfit! Absolutely unreal!!! There is also a segment of a mate gaffing a Wahoo.... she was a real little hottie in those tight, white, tight, short, tight, shorts! Did I mention that they were tight? Leaning waaayyyy over the rail with the gaff... She was a little bitty thing but she was getting the job done! Scenery like that would be a reason to book on the RP Heheheheeeee... Seriously, it is an outstanding video. I wish I had seen it when it was new, 30 years ago. When I had a decent pair of legs. Today I would be a veteran oldtimer....

This post edited by Fishingchair 06/18/2008

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Fishingchair, I live in TN and almost all of my fishing has been in the Gulf out of the Panhandle of Florida. I have a blast everytime I do that but it doesn't compare to LR fishing. I have been on one total trip and it was 5 days. There is something really magical about being on the boat "way out there" for 5+ days.

The talent of the crews on these boats is amazing. Learning to fish with 30 of your friends takes some getting used to, but that is part of the fun to me. There wasn't a lot of competitive fishing going on. Most everyone was pulling for everyone else. There are exceptions but on my trip, they were rare.

I am taking another 5 day this year and I have already signed up for an 8 day next year. There is another video, I think it is called Deep Color and it is about a very long trip on the Excel. Fishing was simply amazing. I think this trip they were into Wahoo until they got tired of it and switched over to the heavy tunas and that went full blast for more than 24 hours.

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Possibly two of the coolest videos ever done would be "Big Boat, Big Fish."

These were filmed by Michael Fowlkes of Inside Sprtfishing and they were filmed on the Excel. The first is nearly 20 years old? Then recently they filmed a similar trip with some of the same faces.

http://www.limboland.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=ISF&Category_Code=LR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.