Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to ship a rod to a friend back east. It is a 7' 1 piece Seeker. What is the best way to package it? Do I just get 2" PVC, cap the ends and put some padding around the guides/tip?

I've never shipped a rod before. Is there a better way to do it from a cost perspective?

Any advice is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
286 Posts
I think th ebest way is ( and I've seen it done this way) is to get the drain line from HD or.. can be of the french drain type stuff with all the weep holes. It comes in 10 foot lengths. Cut it to just over 7' and bubble wrap contents. Pipe will be around $4. Tape cardboard on the ends or get end caps. Tell friend on the other end to save shipping container for when he returns rod!!

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I've used the long triangular boxes from FedEx. Cut the ends off of two of them, bubble wrap the rod well, put the butt end in one box, and slide/push the other box over it, tape up well, and ship.

·
Registered
829 Posts
What ever way you choose to ship it, make sure you insure it for the full value. I built a bass rod for my nephew and shipped it to him using thick cardboard tube, It was very stiff and didn't bend easily but unfortunately it arrived broken in 3 places. I ensured it for $200 and did get paid back 6 weeks later.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
zman92627 said:
I think th ebest way is ( and I've seen it done this way) is to get the drain line from HD or.. can be of the french drain type stuff with all the weep holes. It comes in 10 foot lengths. Cut it to just over 7' and bubble wrap contents. Pipe will be around $4. Tape cardboard on the ends or get end caps. Tell friend on the other end to save shipping container for when he returns rod!!
If that's the PVC tubing, you're right. That is way cheaper than the Fedex or UPS cardboard tubes and a lot more sturdy. I think you can even buy caps for them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going for a combo of the suggested. Put rod in PVC and package that in the cardboard box. PVC for protection and cardboard box for ease of applying shipping label and it will probably deter ground handlers for using PVC as a javelin. I'm sure those guys get punchy at 3am when they are loading stuff. Increased cost is negligable and the added weight won't add to shipping expense.

Thanks again, now I have to figure out how to get more rods shipped to me!

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you don't want to use bubble wrap you can buy plumbing pipe foam insulation. I think it's about 6ft. long and opens up so you can wrap it around the rod. Protects the rod and the guides no problem. I think it's only a buck or 2. Just another option.

·
Registered
376 Posts
i use the pvc down spout from hd and foam pipe insulation. i've shipped dozens of rods and even when the carrier smashed the pipe once the rods were ok. priority shipping from usps is still the best way to ship.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.