All Coast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

I did not include bait because it does not pertain when diving.

If there's something you feel's important, and it's
not listed above, your feedback would be appreciated.

Thank You.

John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,533 Posts
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

I didn't see current on the list!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

I only have 6 options with the software Bill.
In hindsight "current" would have been a much better 6th option.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,019 Posts
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

Timing is the most important thing, not location.


All kinds of locations and structures can hold bugs, but in order to catch them there, you have to be there when they are there and when they are feeding.

For example a few years ago a huge structure "Breakwall" was terrible hooping for about two months of the season. I still hooped it occasionally picking up a bug or two but it was dry.

Internet Guru's were saying it was fished out and not worth the trouble, that it would never be the same.

(right now some guys are saying that about Dana...LOL)

Then one night I went there and caught something like fifty bugs in a few hours. For the rest of the season it was red hot.

Bugs move. They come and go, sometimes migrating hundreds of miles up and down the coast. They hold on various structures (habitat when they are in the area, but they are not in any given area in huge numbers all the time.

Like with fish the good fisherman or hooper reads the signs and figures out how to be at the right place at the right time.

That's what I mean by "timing".

Storm patterns, tides, swell conditions, and other variables all factor into catching bugs. If your constantly moving, changing locations, you'll never learn an area well enough to consistantly do well there. You may hit it right on the "head" every once and a while but it's hit and miss.

Often I'll ask someone if they've hooped a particular spot, and they will say something like: "Yes..it [email protected]" My follow up question is always: "How many times have you hooped it?"

You never know how good an area is till you've hooped it many times in various conditions. Eventually you'll see patterns and then you'll know that not only that it's a "good spot" but when to be there.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

>Timing is the most important thing, not location.

I believe we could constructively discuss this forever Jim.

>All kinds of locations and structures can hold bugs, but in
>order to catch them there, you have to be there when they are
>there and when they are feeding.

This is true.

>For example a few years ago a huge structure "Breakwall" was
>terrible hooping for about two months of the season. I still
>hooped it occasionally picking up a bug or two but it was
>dry.

It happens all the time.

>Internet Guru's were saying it was fished out and not worth
>the trouble, that it would never be the same.

Damn internet gurus.

>(right now some guys are saying that about Dana...LOL)

IMO, you have to know when to hold'em and when to fold'em.

>Then one night I went there and caught something like fifty
>bugs in a few hours. For the rest of the season it was red
>hot.

Yes it was.

>Bugs move. They come and go, sometimes migrating hundreds of
>miles up and down the coast. They hold on various structures
>(habitat when they are in the area, but they are not in any
>given area in huge numbers all the time.

Yes they do.

>Like with fish the good fisherman or hooper reads the signs
>and figures out how to be at the right place at the right
>time.

Yes.

>That's what I mean by "timing".

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

> Storm patterns, tides, swell conditions, and other variables
>all factor into catching bugs. If your constantly moving,
>changing locations, you'll never learn an area well enough to
>consistantly do well there. You may hit it right on the "head"
>every once and a while but it's hit and miss.

Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn.

>Often I'll ask someone if they've hooped a particular spot,
>and they will say something like: "Yes..it [email protected]" My follow
>up question is always: "How many times have you hooped it?"

Or how many times have you hooped it lately.

>You never know how good an area is till you've hooped it many
>times in various conditions. Eventually you'll see patterns
>and then you'll know that not only that it's a "good spot" but
>when to be there.

Let's hope so.

>Jim

John.

I wish more would weigh in like you did Jim.
I guess that's comes with ones confidence level and experience.

Thank You.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,019 Posts
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

>I wish more would weigh in like you did Jim.
>I guess that's comes with ones confidence level and
>experience.
>
>Thank You.
>
>John.
>Parker 2320 'FloMar'.


John with all due respect....

I think you intimidate a lot of guys on this subject, you do tend to be a little opinionated when it comes to hooping.

I know, I know, I'm the same way but I'm not in charge.

We've been round and round so many times on these things that I've probably got a thicker skin then most, and as you know for good or bad I'm pretty outspoken on things that interest me.

Thanks for the backasswards compliment. Like most bug hunters I have just developed a system that works for me.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
351 Posts
RE: What is the most important thing a Diver or Hoopnetter considers when looking/fishing for Lobster?

Yeah Jim Day...I hoop DP once a week, and we still get them, not all keeper's, and sometimes not alot, but dammit, I am there every week to try, the same spots, the same times. I am still learning all the tricks, and feel that it is a treat to have such a thread like this! I really really enjoy learning from all you "pros" and once I get it all together, watch out! But My vote for now goes with location!
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top