Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the 2006 regs there is a permit for "Authorizing transit of recreational fishing vessels through areas closed to fishing".

Doe that mean that when going from Chinese Harbor to the back side of Santa Cruz, private boaters need to either: a) buy this permit or b) go outside and around the closed area?

I haven't finished going throught the whole booklet but noticing this permit brought this question to my mind.

Anyone have some insight into this? Thanks.

G

·
Keep reading the booklet, but I believe the permits pertain to transporting live plants and critters, or something else.

As far as the Scorpion State Marine Reserve, just keep your fishing gear zipped up and you'll be fine transiting through, even with rockfish in the bag.

From DFG:
(8) Transit. Vessels shall be allowed to transit through marine protected areas with catch onboard.
Fishing gear shall be stowed and not in use while transiting through a state marine reserve.
Fishing gear, except legal fishing gear used to take species identified as allowed for take in sub-section 632(b), shall be stowed and not in use while transiting through a state marine park
or state marine conservation area.

The really fun section is figuring out pelagic finfish like yellowtail near the brown pelican reserve at Anacapa.

·
Registered
304 Posts
What does stowed mean? Is it ok to have hooks and sinker attached to line and placed in a rod holder? Or, does it mean the opposite, broke down and in the cabin?
Bob

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still have questions about this. I just sent an e-mail from a DFG link on their website asking for clarification of the permit and also about the definition of "Stowed". If I get an answer, I'll post it.

G

·
The key is "not in use" - no fishing in a Marine Reserve area.

If you're cruising through at 15-20 knots with rods in the rod holders you'll be fine. As long as no fishing gear of any type is in the water in the Marine Reserve area. If you're anchored with fish on board, it would probably be better all around to stow your rods away from the stern/cockpit (ie in the flybridge, cabin, etc).

Just use common sense. The guys on the Swordfish have binoculars and can tell what's going on.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I wouldnâ??t stop in the closed areas with fish aboard. Otherwise keep you rods racked and you should be fine. There is no permit that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the reply:

Mr. Stout,

Your question was referred to me from the "AskMarine" web site. Thank you for your interest and for taking the time to make sure you are within the regulations.

The permit "Authorizing Transit of a Recreational Fishing Vessel Through Areas Closed to Fishing" is used for transit from one "Rockfish and Lingcod Management Area" (defined in section 27.82(a) Title 14, California Code of Regulations) to the next when one of the areas is closed to take of rockfish and lingcod. These management areas are large portions of the coast such as Point Conception to the US/Mexico border.

A permit is NOT required to transit through or anchor in an MPA even with catch onboard. "Stowed and not in use" is not formally defined as the definition would be different for each type of fishing gear. With regards to hook and line fishing, the best way to ensure that your gear is considered "stowed" is to remove the terminal tackle and not have rods on the rail. A warden needs to be certain that you don't have the ability to rapidly cast and retrieve your line while transiting the MPA. If you are anchored as opposed to moving rapidly through the MPA, it would be best to clearly stow all fishing gear broken down.

I hope this helps answer your questions and please feel free to contact me directly if you have any follow up.

John Ugoretz
Nearshore Ecosystem / MLPA Coordinator
California Department of Fish and Game
20 Lower Ragsdale Drive, Suite 100
Monterey, CA 93940
(831) 649-2893
(831) 649-2917 fax
[email protected]
www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Exactly. Use common sense. I would not anchor or hang out in closed areas with fish or rods set up in the holders. No point in even pushing the issue imo. Just go anchor somewhere else.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts