All Coast banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I've got the boat working, in the water and dreams of more and more time on the water, what level of VA do you guys recomend?

It's a 18 ft inboard/outboard that I will stay inshore with and 'maybe' a trip to Catalina with another boater now and again. I'll probably spend most of my time in and around LA Harbor, PV, Huntington, Newport and Dana.

I see the tow options from $150 to Gold, so my question is what would a local inshore 'comfortable level' of coverage be?

Thanx in advance ERIK

·
Registered
303 Posts
The card for out to 50nm should cover it. Guys like me who run long need the extra coverage the gold card offers but with an 18 foot skiff it'd be a waste of $$.

Andy
Parker 2520
"Fat Daddy"

·
Registered
7,160 Posts
Andy made some great points trying to save you some money.
I have a gold card.
I stay mostly inshore.
I guess it's piece of mind for me.

John.
Parker 2320 'FloMar'.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have also been racking my brain trying to figure out which level to get. I launch from Oceanside Harbor and travel to Catalina, Dana Point and San Diego on my 26' Striper.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
An 18' skiff in the hands of us "normal" guys doesn't have the legs to get beyond the "inshore" limits. A 26' striper definetly does. When in doubt......overinsure!

I say "normal" because that is the skill level of myself and most I know. I know there are at least a few very capable skippers that are capable and likely to take their skiffs as far as the Cortez and beyond.
CHRIS
A/K/A Private Boat "Fin-Addict"

·
Registered
512 Posts
Your best bet it to call them. They can give you the boundaries of each. My buddy changed his mind during the year and all it took was a phone call to upgrade. Not sure how user friendly they are since they changed to Boat US, but Steve was always easy to work with.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think the Captains level covers 50 miles from home port plus $2500 over the tow coverage. That should cover everything around here and to Catalina. Captains level is about $120 and that includes membership. VA is something you don't want to be without. If you use it once it pays for itself.

About one month ago I went out and miss read my oil level (2 stroke outboard) and ran out. Called VA. They went to West Marine to get the oil and they came out in about 1 hour. I was 8 miles out of Dana Point looking for Dorado. Put in the oil and continued looking for the paddys. Without VA I would have been done for the day and had a big tow bill. I will always have VA.

Jerry
18' Seaswirl Striper

·
Registered
447 Posts
VA is the greatest thing ever to happen. If you plan on going far or breaking down and floating far :) Then get it all. I have a fixer upper and you never know what is going to break down or what old rubber thing that you cant find goes. It has happened 3 times this year and the membership has more then paid for itself. they are very nice too, i had an overheating problem coming home from cat one day and they checked up on me all the way in and had someone ready for me if i needed a tow. i swear they are just awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts