Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am quite surprised.

Almost a week away and there is not one thread about the upcoming salmon season.

Things are not looking good for a season up north, and only one reply to the thread on saving the salmon season.

Kind of strange for Allcoast.

Oh well - I am hoping there will be some pinks to catch this year

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
There will be some 700 miles of coastline shut down for salmon season if the "Experts" at the PFMC has thier way.

This closure will cause a serious impact all along the coast of California and Oregon.

If you southern California fishermen would like to help out you could email some stuff to the addresses supplied in the attached link.

We are all in this together, Salmon, Albacore, Yellowtail everything you fish for could be next.

It's time to unite.

http://home.comcast.net/~lyndaabbott/Save_Our_Salmon_Season/index.html

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am so fired up!!!!!! We are definitly heading out of Ventura early Saturday, and that's no April fools joke!
The water is cold and with the rains we've had and what's coming tomorrow, the conditions look great. The anticipation is killing me!!!! Here's a few pics from last years opener to fire you up!

Who elso is gonna be out there?

Musicalmike
Skipjack 20

·
Banned
2,434 Posts
i'll be sporting salmon and dungeness crab most of april out of avila..i'll report the good and the bad on a regular basis...water temps look good, bait looks good..hopefully something will happen....john

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Looking forward to your reports John! Are you allowed to do combo trips, ie troll for salmon in between pulling pots? -Dr Bob (

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is a few little bit's of info I found surfing around. Most of the area is further north, but promising non the less.

from http://www.baysidemarinesc.com/
March 22 Happy Birthday Don Fraser!
The Salmon season is looking good for the April 1 opener. There have been numerous incidental catches from Sand dab fisherman in the last few days near the edge of Soquel Hole.

http://usafishing.com/mossland.html
For the salmon opener Monterey bay is where your best salmon bets lie. I spoke with Carol Jones owner of the Kahuna on Sunday 3-26 and she said there is lots of good signs in the bay. Water temps are in the low 50s, there is a mixture of sardines and squid scattered about the bay and the humpbacks are feeding in the ba. Whenever you have humpbacks you know there is a lot of bait around and humpies tend to be better salmon indicators than birds. All of Monterey bay is considered state waters and anglers have the ability to get out and fish deeper waters. The past three years trollers have outscored the moochers by a 2 to 1 ratio so I suggest you private boaters to troll while all party boats here mooch. The fish are usually in the top 70 feet of water early in the season and best bets will lie along the Canyon edges where the currents upwell bait and nutrients up off the bottom. Soquel Hole, Pajaro Hole, Mulligan Hill the Soldier's Club and Pt Pinos are all good options. The key here is don't commit yourself to one side of the bay or the other too early in the day. Heroes are often not rewarded when scouting for salmon so be patient.
Whichever harbor you run from run out, locate bait, get the gear in the water and sit tight. You may get lucky and drop in right on top of them.

And from DFG
Certain areas do tend to produce consistent catches of salmon, year after year. These areas deserve mention, because without any specific information about where the salmon are holding at a given time, these can be high-probability areas to fish. The Santa Barbara Channel is about as far down the coast as these fish roam in appreciable numbers, but they can be caught down south as far as Newport Beach and beyond.

Here's a listing of some of the best spots: Straight out from Morro Bay, the buoy outside of Port San Luis and on down in front of Avila Beach; the stretch from the lighthouse just above Santa Barbara on up to Henry's Beach; the stretch between Summerland and Carpinteria; the gap between the row of four oil rigs and the row of three oil rigs off of Santa Barbara; from the easternmost of the row of three oil rigs on down to Pitas Point; off of the Ventura River mouth; the Hueneme Canyon area, and off of Newport Beach.

Again, these are good areas to fish, in the absence of specific and timely information about an ongoing bite elsewhere.

Any other reports of incidentals?
Musicalmike
Skipjack 20

1 - 9 of 9 Posts