Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
an angler walks into the galley of a long-range boat. A drink of water and perhaps a snack. In the galley a group of friends are watching a wok movie. Suddenly a 100-db. sound of a crash scene on TV. The angler has the sense in being hit on the side of the head with a hammer.... soon proceeded by an earache and headache. Hearing loss.? Where is OSHA? Many of these television systems are connected to 100-watt audio systems and are unregulated by the boat crews. The fault lying with a charter master that doesn't understand the implications of runaway sound systems' class action could be in the works.

· Registered
1,135 Posts
We had a deaf guy on a trip one time. Don't recall his name so we'll call him 'Bob'.
Motoring after dinner one night, Rush Hour on the tube (with subtitles for 'Bob').
Skipper comes on the PA from up in the wheelhouse;
"I don't care how lout you turn up the TV, 'Bob' still isn't going to hear it!".

· Registered
5,958 Posts
I must be the only one that is not getting this post. After fishing on boats for 40+ years, I have never ever heard of an incident where passengers ears are getting damaged from a loud T.V. sound system in the galley. Bringing OSHA into this for that subject sounds pretty absurd to me, but maybe I'm the absurd one and have been lucky to never have experienced this?

To me, that would be the same as making it a requirement to have all anglers on the boat wear hard hats with a face shield when they step onto the deck so they can avoid injury from possibly being hooked by someone casting a line out. :rolleyes:

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
on the contrary, A decibel reading system ,,a sound level meter if you were, could be easily installed, any reading over 85 decibels, threatened hearing, Osha could easily inspect boats for compliance, and sound systems with acoustic shock capability be controlled, it's not the Tv a problem, It's the installation of high-power sound systems. It is the young generation that delight in experiencing high tech sound systems that were never available up until a few years ago.If it were you that sustained ear damage instead of me you might have different opinion on the matter

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The issue here is safety.... fishing methods have changed,in the 65 years I've. been on boats. Wide open, ,bombs,baloons,poppers , on the stern. High power sound systems in the Galley and on the bridge.Mehods allowed to placate wishes of an elite class of angler. The boat skippers, ultimately responsible for overall customer safety.

· Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The folks working in the galley,cooks,will have hearing impairments due to acoustic shock down the road.There is no reason in the world boats need high level acoustic systems installed, takes one passenger in the galley holding an audio control that can really hurt someone.

· Registered
5,958 Posts
The issue here is safety.... fishing methods have changed,in the 65 years I've. been on boats. Wide open, ,bombs,baloons,poppers , on the stern. High power sound systems in the Galley and on the bridge.Mehods allowed to placate wishes of an elite class of angler. The boat skippers, ultimately responsible for overall customer safety.
I guess they found out lighting illegal fireworks on boats is a no-no...ask Rollo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts