Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is in the right spot, I'm new so sorry if I'm wrong asking questions here!
I just bought a boat, and want to take my 15 year-old daughter fishing. I have plenty of experience, but am awaiting back surgery so I'm somewhat limited on mobility and duration at sea. Can anyone advise us on a 'sure thing' for bonito? I want to start her on these fish, for what I hope is obvious reasons.
We don't have the Mexico boat permit yet, so where should we fish tomorrow (6/10/06) if we leave from Mission Bay? I'd prefer just to troll for now, or throw jigs at paddies. I dont want to get into the whole bait thing yet, wanna start with the basics. Is the top of the 9 Mile productive? Or should we do La Jolla? Any advice and even current hot tackle is much appreciated. Sorry for sounding stupid guys, but with my seriously messed up back, I gotta keep it local and simple. Thanx in advance! And don't tell my surgeon...
Dave

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Welcome David,

I heard pretty much everywhere is getting bonito right now. I'd look for local paddies, but La Jolla Kelp might be the ticket also. I'm sure someone who has been out in the Diego area recently will pipe in shortly with better info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, hoping to get some detailed reports. Last time i tried to troll around La Jolla area I caught a lot of weeds and broken kelp, only a couple of fish. But the water was pretty rough and dirty that day...so yeah, please help with some reports,and thanx everyone!

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
The YT and the Bones biting pretty good in LJ last week....you can always look for paddies...they are the hot ticket this week.

Good luck to you....hope you find some fish.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL love the tangle on that reel! My daughter makes some just as good...we're going for the 9, she spent a bunch of time programming the GPS today, so she wants to do some navigating. We'll give a report tomorrow!
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We had a blast! Caught 12 nice Bones, most trolling, but a couple throwing large crocks. My kid has sore arms! She now understands what I mean when I say offshore fishing is a contact sport...the new rod arch from Pacific Yacht Towers totally made my day, 8 launchers above the hard top is great. No more tangles on the deck!

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but the bonito we have eaten so far have been wonderful. Being big sushi eaters, we know how to care for fish - we IMMEDIATELY clean them, and completely cover them in ice under and over. When we got home, the filets were almost sushi-grade. Made great fish tacos, fish stew, grilled fish etc. so far! Anyone who doesnt think bonito are fit to eat must not be caring for them correctly after they catch them...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts