Coastal Fishing Forums: AllCoast banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I like the "sport" versions of sunscreen--they are thicker, and seem to stay on a bit longer.

As for manufacturers, I've tried a few, and haven't been able to tell a difference--but of course, some damage will never be visible. Make sure its got UVA and UVB coverage. I'd use the highest SPF I could find, and apply liberally, and at least twice a day--in the morning and after lunch. I also wear a foregin legion style hat, sunglasses, long sleeve fishing shirt with vents and 35 spf built in.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys, I played golf last year with a young tech for Coppertone here in Memphis. He said the difference in the SPF above 30 wasn't worth the money. Last night I was reading my Golf Digest mag and they had an article that basically said the same thing. This article said the FDA was investigating whether there was any difference at all above 30. Just FYI.

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
Outhouse said:
Guys, I played golf last year with a young tech for Coppertone here in Memphis. He said the difference in the SPF above 30 wasn't worth the money. Last night I was reading my Golf Digest mag and they had an article that basically said the same thing. This article said the FDA was investigating whether there was any difference at all above 30. Just FYI.
That is what the Blue Lizard people say, too. Apparently, it's illegal in Australia to even claim an SPF protection above it.

As much as I love Blue Lizard, I haven't found any appreciable difference between it and Trader Joes (which is like half the price, but without the fancy bottle that turns blue in the sun).

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
I usually go for the highest SPF around, for a few reasons:

1) Its usually priced the same anyway;

2) SPF is rated at a certain thickness level and most people have a tendency to apply too thin of a coat, so I figure that using a higher SPF helps take care of that problem;

3) It couldn't hurt. :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
I have to agree with the new sprays. The convience factor is huge.
No lotion on your hands etc..
I found my biggest problem was not wanting to take the time to put lotions on when fishing. The sprays are quick and easy to apply.
I now apply a few times a day as opposed to once or twice.
It works for me.
Plenty of brands to choose from.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Charkbait has a product called Sol Bluewater that is rated SPF36 and does not burn your eyes. The eye part is important to me, as I always seem to get it in my eyes sooner or later.

·
Registered
17,964 Posts
RoyP said:
Charkbait has a product called Sol Bluewater that is rated SPF36 and does not burn your eyes. The eye part is important to me, as I always seem to get it in my eyes sooner or later.
or you can use CVS Sunscreen SPF 45 exact same ingredients as Sol Blue, won't sting your eyes and a 2oz container is only $2.99.....

This post edited by fishybuzz 06/11/2008

·
Registered
7,509 Posts
oldtrackster said:
I like Bullfrog. http://www.bullfrogsunblock.com/ It may not be offered in a place as refined and civilized as California and only offered to us Texas hillbillies. Tight lines everyone.
The company was founded in Oceanside California and later acquired by Chattem, Inc. of Chattenooga, TN. My recollection is that it was the first (or one of the first) waterproof sunscreens. I also seem to recall it was only available at surf shops for a long time. I used to use it a lot when I was sponging.

This post edited by boswell 06/11/2008

·
Super Moderator
6,959 Posts
ChannelIslands said:
IMO its not the sunscreen as much as it is putting it on every couple hours. Also put in on a half hour before you go in the sun since it takes that long to start working.

Chris
Right, for a lot of guys, it generally does not go on until the first bite?s over.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.